Interesting GOLD fragment.from 14th Century.

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found last Friday, a small fragment of Hammered gold. Blank on one side due to damage by farm machinery. But some design and letters on the other side. being:: E*TVO*A. not very much to go by. but on searching through Latin inscriptions for coins from medieval times, l found one to fit.
DOMINE NE IN FURORE*TVO*ARGUAS ME. which was first used on Half Nobles in the reign of EDWARD 3rd. The fragment is 0.5gram and the complete coin would be 4grams so l have only found one eighth of the full coin. So by my reasoning it's Half Noble of Edward 3rd.

Edward III Half Noble Gold Coin

Attachments

• w964.jpg
    w964.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 13
Here's an extra wish for luck for any time you go back to that field..................63bkpr

Went back today , spent 4 hours on the same field . found plenty of lead and buttons, no more pieces of gold coin.. but did find Henry 3rd Short cross silver penny. class 8b Canterbury mint.

Attachments

• w966.jpg
    w966.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • w967.jpg
    w967.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 60
Went back today , spent 4 hours on the same field . found plenty of lead and buttons, no more pieces of gold coin.. but did find Henry 3rd Short cross silver penny. class 8b Canterbury mint.

cool I love the shortcross series

Congratulations on an amazing find! Very impressive!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back