✅ SOLVED Interesting brass item

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this would be easy to research, but I'm striking out. I dug this in the front yard of a house built in 1900 in central Indiana. It is a heavy brass piece about 5.5 inches wide, 2 7/8 inches deep and 1 inch high. It has a raised edge with two curved depressions (one on each side) and one small hole in the back. The hole is just large enough to insert a round toothpick, but no larger. There are no other holes or visible means of mounting. In the base are the words "Trailers/ Acme Film Co/ H. Frohman/ Bryant-9/ 2325 2317/ 1540 Broadway NYC" The only thing I can find is that 1540 Broadway (now the Bertelsmann Building, a large, modern skyscraper) was the Loew's State Theater from 1921-1987. They showed movies and hosted vaudeville acts. Prior to that, the site was Bartholdi Inn, a theatrical boarding house built in 1899. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Tailers angled.jpg
    Tailers angled.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • Tailers back.jpg
    Tailers back.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Trailers bottom.jpg
    Trailers bottom.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • Trailers front profile.jpg
    Trailers front profile.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Trailers with measurment.jpg
    Trailers with measurment.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 127
It's an ashtray. Neat find Congrats!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ashtray was my best guess, but I'm still hoping to learn more of the history and what the writing means. The depressions are about the size of a cigar, so my guess was that it was for that, but the position of the depressions are sort of odd for resting a cigar or cigarette. The are at the back and if this is in some way mounted flush to something, there would not be room for the cigars in that position. But it is definitely the size and weight of an ashtray. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yes but it was also an advertising ashtray and they would have put the depressions in the back so the words would be more readable facing the front. My best guess is that it was from the old, Loew's State Theatre in NYC because trailers were always supplied for upcoming films.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would go right to the top of my way cool unique finds EVER list, well almost. Fantastic piece of brass history mate. I reckon that was a ear popping signal as well.:o It does look like some big shot movers and shakers would have been discussing business transactions while puffing on their stogies with this between them. Congrats on a truly cool old relic.:headbang:

Upvote 0
Ashtray was my best guess, but I'm still hoping to learn more of the history and what the writing means. The depressions are about the size of a cigar, so my guess was that it was for that, but the position of the depressions are sort of odd for resting a cigar or cigarette. The are at the back and if this is in some way mounted flush to something, there would not be room for the cigars in that position. But it is definitely the size and weight of an ashtray. Thanks!
Not if it were mounted at the front of the theatre seat leg below the armrest. It would be in the perfect position for two seats to share a tray. Very cool

Upvote 0
Since it is heavy brass I think it could be an ashtray paper weight for cigars, that sat on some exec's desk.

Upvote 0
Super find! Here is a little info. so far - I think this is your "H. Frohman".

Hans Frohman
New York, New York City Municipal Deaths
Name Hans Frohman
Event Type  Death
Event Date 07 Dec 1936
Event Place Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Address 630 W. 170th St.
Residence Place Manhattan
Gender Male
Age 54
Marital Status Married
Race White
Occupation Film Business
Birth Year (Estimated) 1882
Birthplace Germany
Burial Date 09 Dec 1936
Burial Place Cremation
Cemetery Ferncliff Crematory
Father's Name Leopold Frohman
Father's Birthplace Germany
Mother's Name Ida Von Tractenberg
Mother's Birthplace Germany
Spouse's Name Alama Frohman

https://archive.org/stream/motionpictureher123unse/motionpictureher123unse_djvu.txt

Sale Held Fraudulent

Judge Robert P. Patterson in a federal
court decision last weekend held to be fraud-
ulent the sale of certain assets of the Acme
Film company to Edna Weinberg on Dec.
3, 1932. The decision came in a suit brought
by Arthur Gottlieb as trustee in bankruptcy
of Hans Frohman against Edna Weinberg
and Arcadia Film Corporation, and set forth
that Hans Frohman was adjudged bankrupt
on May IS, 1932, that on December 3rd of
the same year he had sold $2,000 worth of
equipment to Edna Weinberg for $500, and
that subsequently the Arcadia Film Corpo-
ration was organized with Mr. Frohman as
president and Miss Weinberg secretary and
treasurer.

Attachments

• acmefilm.jpg
    acmefilm.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 94
  • acmefilmfrohman.jpg
    acmefilmfrohman.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not if it were mounted at the front of the theatre seat leg below the armrest. It would be in the perfect position for two seats to share a tray. Very cool

I never thought about it being mounted there. Interesting thought!

Upvote 0
Maybe for a thin copper or brass name tag?

Maybe, but I would have expected two holes for that. I still wonder if it were not for mounting or stabilization, somehow, but it is sure small. Still scratching my head on that one.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back