✅ SOLVED Information on a Token, possibly WWII ??

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this token a few weeks ago on an empty lot. I thought perhaps it could be war related due to the U.S. on the ship. I am not sure if it can be dated from the style of ship or it would be even better if someone can find a similar style with information for it. Any help is gladly accepted. Thanks.

Oh, looks to be made of brass.

P1010498.JPGP1010499.JPGP1010500.JPG

Can you do an enlarged picture of back looks like a makers mark.

Upvote 0
I looked at it under my eye loupe, but it is way too obscure to make out any letters, although it looks like letters. I feel that it was probably even obscure when it was made. I took some close up pictures of the mark and it doesn't help. All I know is that it is a shield with something written on it. Unless, I put it under a microscope at something more than 20X is the only way I think I might be able to make a few letters out.

If no one knows off hand, I will post as close a picture as I can to the mark, but I am almost certain it won't be of value.

Upvote 0
they used a lot of vollenteers to work in the shipyards during WW2 * we had to build supply ships to sail to England and Russia faster than the U boats could sink em ---bet that is a WW2 era ship yard lapel pin / "id tag" by the looks of the vessel --looks like a old "liberty ship" design --very commonly built cargo ship of WW2 --oh BTW --I'm a 27 year long retired US merchant seaman..the rear design is a U S overlaid with an ships anchor --had a post with a pin back holder --clearly the post broke off

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a token, it is a pin. You can see where the pin shank was soldered onto the back but has since degraded and fell off.

Upvote 0
MADE IN 1919 OF COPPER ALLOY. MEASUREMENTS 15/16" X1 1/4" 1/4". SMITHSONIAN CATALOG NUMBER 308554. ITEM DESCRIPTION: A PUSH TO RECRUIT 250,000 ADDITIONAL SHIPYARD WORKERS FOR THE HOG ISLAND SHIPYARD IN EARLY 1918 LED THE EMERGENCY FLEET ORGANIZATION TO CREATE THE "US SHIPYARD VOLUNTEERS". MEN WHO SIGNED UP TO WORK IN THE YARDS WERE EXEMPTED FROM THE MILITARY DRAFT. MAY 1918, SHORTLY AFTER THE INITIATIVE BEGAN, NEW YORK LED THE DRIVE WITH MORE THAN 81,800 VOLUNTEERS FOLLOWED BY ILLINOIS AND MASSACHUSETTS.
Source:
http://edentalstuff.com/store/wwi-shipyard-volunteer-lapel-button-141580472031.html
Don.......

Upvote 0
MADE IN 1919 OF COPPER ALLOY. MEASUREMENTS 15/16" X1 1/4" 1/4". SMITHSONIAN CATALOG NUMBER 308554. ITEM DESCRIPTION: A PUSH TO RECRUIT 250,000 ADDITIONAL SHIPYARD WORKERS FOR THE HOG ISLAND SHIPYARD IN EARLY 1918 LED THE EMERGENCY FLEET ORGANIZATION TO CREATE THE "US SHIPYARD VOLUNTEERS". MEN WHO SIGNED UP TO WORK IN THE YARDS WERE EXEMPTED FROM THE MILITARY DRAFT. MAY 1918, SHORTLY AFTER THE INITIATIVE BEGAN, NEW YORK LED THE DRIVE WITH MORE THAN 81,800 VOLUNTEERS FOLLOWED BY ILLINOIS AND MASSACHUSETTS.
Source:
http://edentalstuff.com/store/wwi-shipyard-volunteer-lapel-button-141580472031.html
Don.......

That is it! SOLVED. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back