Indian relic? Or not, u tell me...

Little Dove

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
Please help, I'm new here and can't seem to find a way to upload pictures
Found this wooden piece on the bank of a river in Mississippi. To me it looks as if it were being carved into a bird? Both ends have points on them, one end is larger then the other and the bottom of one side is flatter then the other. On this area of the bank of river is an old pine tree with cuts in the bark close to bottom of tree. Please help me figure out what this might be???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
laughing.gif
If there is anything else (loading pictures) we can do to help you - just let us know! :laughing7: I also noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
U can tell it had been carved on. Plus the area I live in has Indian mounds and holes where they stored food in ground. My hubby found many points from large to tiny. Also to let u know a couple years ago while laying the highway bout a half mile from my house they uncovered a complete set of bow with its arrows wrapped in a tanned hide, petty sure someone was layer to rest with it. As all knows Indians were buried with their belongs. We also have shards of pottery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to Treasurenet.
The left end of your piece does have the looks of a duck, but the connecting part doesn't matchup.
With the degree of weathering on the piece it will be very difficult make a positive ID.
neat find, but you may never know for sure.

Upvote 0
Could it be whats left of a Duck decoy?

Upvote 0
I am not saying it isn't what you think, but I have seen a lot of wood that has been caught up in river currents for a long time that get swirled and banged against rocks branches and other things that can give the appearance of having been carved or whittled upon and nature can create very interesting items that look man made when in fact it is erosion or other natural forces acting upon the item.Close up pictures may give a better view on what you are seeing.

Upvote 0
Not seeing anything that says indian artifact, you only showed one side though so show other sides and maybe there is something else to see. Unless it hollowed out like Capt said right now it looks like natural river drift wood..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back