Incredible fortune. 2nd Gold coin this week!

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
So having found an 1863 Gold Queen Victoria sovereign on Thursday afternoon, I dont like going straight back to a permission ive had good luck on as the return visits always turn out to be duds, and so I headed off to a different location here in Lancashire England some 12 miles away and with good Roman form.
I was finding lots of stuff on a pasture field close to a river, a couple of spindle whorls, buttons, buckles, crusty old coins, a couple of musket balls. I was really enjoying the session, a busy field but not one to be bored in.
As th3 light began to fade I dug a clear signal at 3 bars down on the equinox, lifted up the clod and just sat there in the hole was this 1821 George IV sovereign.

I think I'm still in shock to be fair. 2 gold coins from 2 outings in one week at different locales.
The.metal detecting God's are obviously smiling down on me right now.
What an incredible hobby this is.

Attachments

• IMG-20240804-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240804-WA0004.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-20240804-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240804-WA0003.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 54
Absolutely amaaaaaazing! We all want your kind of luck. Another beautiful coin that most of us can only dream about. 2 in a row has to be banner worth or something is wrong with the system.

Great job, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Yeap, your on fire, long many it last.

Not had a Geo IV Gold & that one has some collectors value, wouldn't be surprised if it made £700ish. Not that your selling, just good to know.
Crack on....

So having found an 1863 Gold Queen Victoria sovereign on Thursday afternoon, I dont like going straight back to a permission ive had good luck on as the return visits always turn out to be duds, and so I headed off to a different location here in Lancashire England some 12 miles away and with good Roman form.
I was finding lots of stuff on a pasture field close to a river, a couple of spindle whorls, buttons, buckles, crusty old coins, a couple of musket balls. I was really enjoying the session, a busy field but not one to be bored in.
As th3 light began to fade I dug a clear signal at 3 bars down on the equinox, lifted up the clod and just sat there in the hole was this 1821 George IV sovereign.

I think I'm still in shock to be fair. 2 gold coins from 2 outings in one week at different locales.
The.metal detecting God's are obviously smiling down on me right now.
What an incredible hobby this is.
vote for banner find for sure. What would those be worth back in the times they were lost in terms of purchasing power back then? A horse? etc?

Dang!! Banner all day long from my chair. Beautiful Coin. Congrats!!

vote for banner find for sure. What would those be worth back in the times they were lost in terms of purchasing power back then? A horse? etc?
Thanks everyone for the interest and kindness.

Regarding its value then, one sovereign equalled 20 shillings. 1 shilling was 12 pence. I was told that a sixpence love token amounted to about a meal for two people which nowadays you could average at £40
Id say a sovereign in 1821 had the buying power of about £2000 now, which i think is about $2500

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FINDS !!! BANNER

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back