XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1833BEST.jpg
    1833BEST.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,165
Upvote 0
Congratulations Torrero. That coin is a beaut! Hope you turn up some more before your done with the spot. Don't forget to put a little something in the poor box while you're there, OK?~CO2

That's just the kind of find that get's me chomping at the bit. I can't wait for this weather to break up north. Keep up the good work!

What's the old verse, "God helps those who help themselves"?

Copper said:
Nice coin. I've hunted an old 1875 church yard off and on and so far found mainly horseshoes and modern coins. But then I was using an el-cheapo China made detector. I'm returning to the spot with a Tesoro Cortes.

I wish you the best of luck, but the reality is that most old Churches have been scraped clean of all
really nice coins.
Even the church this came out of had apparently been cleaned pretty hard.
It sits in front of a main back road and I found it, not next to the Church, ( where I got no signals at all )
but instead this came from across the street in an open area that had been cleared by the church I
guise. I continued to walk around the clearing for at least another hour, but only got 2 more
wheat pennies which are common, but getting scarce these days.
Take care.
Richard

Oh Yeah! Totally awsom. It's the reason we all detect. We all want finds that nice. There is just nothin like a great bust to put a smile on your face. Spotz

Beautiful coin! I hunt with a DFX too and wonder what mode you were hunting in and the VDI number for your half dime. Jim Cal

Great find Richard!!! I just hate ya didnt fing anything like that when we were hunting back in January in my neck of the woods. You did really good on this one!! Keep up the good work!!H.H.

There seems to be some confusion as to what this coin is in the red book. I read the entire post here and thought I might offer what I've been able to figure out on the coin. Now, I may be wrong on this but it looks as though the coin can be found on page 123 in the newest edition of the red book (The Official RED BOOK 58th edition - A guide book of United States Coins 2005). I believe the coin is a "capped bust" version of the half dime by looking at the submitted photo and compairing it to the image in the book on the said page.

Again, I may be incorrect on all this,.....and that's OK if I am. I just thought I might as well offer an option on this terrific find you've made!

By the way, the coin is absolutely gorgeous! I think I would frame that one in a very nice shadow box type frame and put it up on the wall for your company to enjoy. The fact that you found it with your nephew makes it even more rememberable and enjoyable. Great find,....we can all only hope to be as lucky :)

Rod

Nice find, :o, No trace of wear in the photo that I can see, Might make MS60, I wouldnt take less than $150.00 for it.

1833 HALF DIME
PCGS No: 4280

Mintage:
Circulation strikes: 1,370,000
Proofs: est. 10

Designer: William Kneass

Diameter: 15.5 millimeters

Metal content:
Silver - 89.25%
Copper - 10.75%

Weight: ?1.35 grams

Edge: Reeded

Mintmarks: None (all coins of this type were struck at Philadelphia)

Don't want to cause any hate and discontent but make sure you weigh it I have a beautiful 1840 seated liberty dollar that don't weigh right what a let down it was a phony, nice find good luck.

Darod said:
There seems to be some confusion as to what this coin is in the red book.? I read the entire post here and thought I might offer what I've been able to figure out on the coin.? Now, I may be wrong on this but it looks as though the coin can be found on page 123 in the newest edition of the red book (The Official RED BOOK 58th edition - A guide book of United States Coins 2005).? I believe the coin is a "capped bust" version of the half dime by looking at the submitted photo and compairing it to the image in the book on the said page.?

Again, I may be incorrect on all this,.....and that's OK if I am.? I just thought I might as well offer an option on this terrific find you've made!?

By the way,? the coin is absolutely gorgeous!? I think I would frame that one in a very nice shadow box type frame and put it up on the wall for your company to enjoy.? The fact that you found it with your nephew makes it even more rememberable and enjoyable.? Great find,....we can all only hope to be as lucky :)

Rod
[/quote/]

Of course your right, but in general most people just call this type of coin a "BUST" coin...
there were several types of "Bust" coins... they all have that "profile" of liberty
hope this helps

AU79 said:
Nice find,? :o, No trace of wear in the photo that I can see, Might make MS60, I wouldnt take less than $150.00 for it.

1833 HALF DIME?
PCGS No: 4280

Mintage:
Circulation strikes: 1,370,000
Proofs: est. 10

Designer: William Kneass

Diameter: 15.5 millimeters

Metal content:
Silver - 89.25%
Copper - 10.75%

Weight: ?1.35 grams

Edge: Reeded

Mintmarks: None (all coins of this type were struck at Philadelphia)

Actually if you look at the picture, real close in the area between the nose and the shoulder
in the open plain of the coin,
you can see some very fine hairlike scratches..
these I believe were cause when I dug the coin and did not know what it was .....
AAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!
I rubbed the dirt off, causing these fine scratches...
:'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back