XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1833BEST.jpg
    1833BEST.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,165
Upvote 0
I'VE BEEN HUNTING CHURCHES FOR A LONG TIME, MY METER SAID IT WAS 4" DEEP ON THE DFX.
IT CAME OUT ON THE 1ST PLUG FROM THE HOLE, COULD NOT HAVE BEEN REALLY DEEP.
IT CAME UP READING LIKE A ZINC PENNY / INDIAN HEAD AT ABOUT 61-63 ON THE NUMBER
SCALE ON MY MACHINE.
I'VE DUG A LOT OF THINGS IN CHURCHYARDS BUT NEVER ANYTHING LIKE THIS.
I WAS EXSTATIC....

Killer dig!! I've also been hunting a church near where I live. It has produced some great finds, and I hope it produces more!! Good luck!! H.H.

i know its a half dollar, but how come there no "0" next to the "5".in the red book it looks to be about at least $90 easily.i'd have that one graded by anac, dug coins arent graded by pcgs or ngc.Last thing, is it fairly easy to get permission from churches??If you do make sure the site is the original one because some churches were moved or burned down an relocated.STEVE FIND OUT IF THIS CHURCH HAD AN ANNUAL FAIR AND WHERE IT WAS, AND YOU MIGHT FIND SOMETHING LIKE THIS...... ;D

Attachments

• Scan029, January 07, 2005.jpg
    Scan029, January 07, 2005.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,008
salvet66 said:
i know its a half dollar, but how come there no "0" next to the "5".in the red book it looks to be about at least $90 easily.i'd have that one graded by anac, dug coins arent graded by pcgs or ngc.Last thing, is it fairly easy to get permission from churches??If you do make sure the site is the original one because some churches were moved or burned down an relocated.STEVE FIND OUT IF THIS CHURCH HAD AN ANNUAL FAIR AND WHERE IT WAS, AND YOU MIGHT FIND SOMETHING LIKE THIS...... ;D

Sorry for the confussion.. its a half dime, not a half dollar.. hence no "0" after the 5 ..
as for permission.. well thats another story..
as for your coin, I've never seen one of those.

That's a really nice looking coin!

One day I might start searching for old coins but right now I'm having to much fun finding rings.

Questions

what kind of detector are you useing? How far down was this coin?

Onion

I have a lot of machines but I'm pretty much stuck on the DFX from Whites, the coin was about 4" deep but it is rare to ever dig
old coins more than 8-9 inches deep unless your in a field where a plow can sink them deep..
I have just neve found a bust coin before and really was thinking I never would.

Just got a coin book today (US Coin Digest) and am having fun trying to ID coins in the photos ;D. The draped bust half dime 1833 in Good condition is about $21.00. In Very Fine or Extra fine can run between $60 to $115. Definitely a terrific find and worth having it graded!!!

Good look hunting in the future!!!
Q

I believe I would pass out if I found a coin that nice! Beautiful coin Torrero!

Kent

Torrero,

Your half dime is at least an AU-50 grade providing you recovered and cleaned it up carefully (without wiping it or scratching the surface). The detail is close to Uncirculated. It is worth in excess of $100 and perhaps much more if it happens to be a scarce die variety. The next thing to do would be to figure out what die variety it is (LM variety). I believe there are 10 known varieties for 1833. Comparing it to some of the coins pictured in the link below may help, although the varieties can be tough to distinguish from one another. If it's rated R5 or higher, it's rare and worth much more than list prices. Also I will add that this coin is a much better find than a (commoner) 1833 half dollar.

http://rob.com/russ/collection/index1.html

Ron

I'm sure since you were in the right spot you dropped to your knees and thanked God ;)
Good Hunting

Nice coin. I've hunted an old 1875 church yard off and on and so far found mainly horseshoes and modern coins. But then I was using an el-cheapo China made detector. I'm returning to the spot with a Tesoro Cortes.

When I lived in MICH. I hunted the old Church's I found that it was easy to get permission and if you can get them to show some old pics. of past get togethers out side theye used the same spot every year I have found that is the spot you want to Try. Good find there is more for you there keep going keep going dint stop. HAVING MORE FUN THEN PEOPLE SQUASH.

I'm sure you have thought of dropping that one into the collection plate...
and hoping it comes back TWO FOLD .....That coin RULES....!

Great find I hope the next time you hunt that church... you do even better,
if thats possible. Only GOLD could top that Half Dime.. Thanks for sharing...
HH BRINK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back