In search of Captain Avery's treasure

Well be Prepared to be blow away! potential treasure. there was 500000 coins just like these.

View attachment 2173876

They are the zodiac that we in west uses today thanks to Mogul empire. They average 3500 - 4500 USD per coin.

The Mogul empire was so rich. It made the European empires looked like peasants.

Every then sailed in pursuit of Ganj-i-Sawai, overtaking her about eight days out of Surat. Ganj-i-Sawai was a fearsome opponent, mounting 62 guns and carrying four to five hundred guards armed with small arms, as well as six hundred other passengers.

But the opening volley evened the odds, as one of the Ganj-i-Sawai's cannons exploded, killing some of its gunners and causing great confusion and demoralization among the crew, while Every's broadside shot his enemy's mainmast by the board.

The larger Fancy drew alongside, and a number of her 113-man crew clambered aboard, overpowering the crew, passengers, and slaves of Ganj-i-Sawai.

The victorious pirates then subjected their captives to several days of horror, murdering prisoners at will, and using torture to force them to reveal the location of the ships' treasure.

The loot from Ganj-i-Sawai totaled between £325,000 and £600,000, including "some 500,000 gold and silver pieces, plus numerous jeweled baubles and miscellaneous silver cups, trinkets, and so on.

Several crews went home empty-handed: Tew was dead, Want and Wake's ships were too slow and never made it to the battle, Faro made it to the Ganj-i-Sawai but never engaged, and Maze was present but Every took back their share of the loot after Pearl's crew tried to trade clipped coins to Fancy's men.

Every had been asked by the other pirate captains to carry the treasure to an agreed upon location where it would be split among the various crews, as Fancy, with her 46 guns, carried the most fire power to guard it. Come nightfall, Every and his crew silently slipped away from the pirate armada, taking all Ganj-i-Sawai's treasure with them.

As you could imagine the Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb was pissed off! that a bunch of rag tag scruffy pirates looked and pillaged his treasure ships.

View attachment 2173877

In response to the capture of Ganj-i-Sawai, the Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb, sent his army to five key ports for English trade in India Bombay, Surat, Broach, Agra, and Ahmedabad to close them.

Aurangzeb effectively cut off English trade with India as he refused to reopen the ports until Henry Every was caught and executed for his crimes.

The East India Company reconciled with the Mughal Emperor by fully compensating his losses, and filed an insurance claim for £350,000, though Mughal authorities demanded this amount be doubled.

The desire to see Every executed led to the first truly global manhunt in history, though he and the majority of his crew would never be caught. Six members of his crew were captured, tried, and executed, though they were not found guilty of seizing Ganj-i-Sawai, but rather a different ship.

The treasure captured was immense. The rulers of Mughal India often ordered their names and titles to be inscribed on rubies, emeralds and diamonds, a practice which originated in Iran under the Timurids (1370-1507).

Some of these gems ended up in the collection of the Mughal emperors who continued the tradition. In some cases, as the gems were passed down further names were added below those of the previous owners.

Many were repolished, recut and re-set as they were handed down. The inscriptions were executed using the traditional cutting wheel or diamond-tipped stylus.

Here is surviving examples of extravagant wealth. Bellow is The rectangular-cut emerald known as 'The Mogul Mughal' weighing 217.80 carats. It's a magnificent emerald with a great back story!

View attachment 2173880

Carved emerald below with a Shi`ite invocation; Mughal or Deccani, 1695-1696.
The reverse carved all over with foliate decoration, the central rosette flanked by single large poppy flowers, with a line of three smaller poppy flowers either side, the bevelled edges carved with cross pattern incisions and herringbone decoration, each of the four sides drilled for attachments, 2 1/16 x 1 9/16 x 7/16 in. (5.2 x 4x 1.2 cm.)

Originally mined in Colombia, it was sold in India, where emeralds were much desired by the rulers of the Mughal Empire.

View attachment 2173879

Mughal jewelry below embodies the opulence of India's past, with its intricate designs and precious gemstones. From the 16th to 19th centuries, these pieces signified wealth and status, featuring techniques like Kundan and Meenakari. Gemstones carried symbolic meanings, and jewel boxes reflected the empire's artistry and philosophical interests.

View attachment 2173881

below this is Vintage Royal 20K Gold Diamond Ruby Emerald Maharaja turban pin pendant Fine Mughal Jewelry went for 14000 dollars.

View attachment 2173882

I am blown away by the sophistication.

View attachment 2173883

you can see the exquisite size below.

View attachment 2173884

Their jewelry making was very skilled and advanced for the time.

View attachment 2173885

of course the bigger the gems the bigger the value.

View attachment 2173886

By now you begin see Why Henry Avery had a price on his head and subject of the worlds first man hunt.

But most of all amigos imagine what was taken back then and divided up among the 160 pirates. Even a small cache left behind by pirate that died and never reclaimed their share would be worth a fortune.

View attachment 2173887

View attachment 2173888

And that is why for me Henry Avery's treasure and some of small personal private caches left by his crew that may still exist in various locations Bahamas, East Coast of the united States, Ireland and England is totally fascinating.

Crow
Well to be honest.....I never saw anything like this before in regards to what these jewels and treasure looked like.....but.....I did realize long ago that if your after treasure, it's wise to pursue possibilities that would be the highest value in today's monetary terms. Careful assessment of what treasure is actually associated with the particular project your considering !! So I've had the realization that it really is the jeweled gold pieces, the worked silver, the loose gemstones, and the religious ornaments that make up the bulk of the most valued treasures. They are also the hardest to find because of several reasons.
1. they are portable, and jewelry can be worn. This gives the owner the best chance of not losing it. Enormous untaxed wealth could be carried in one gold money chain, or a hand full of diamond rings.
2. Loose gemstones could be hidden in jacket liners, or any number of ways concealed in clothing. Something worth pounds of silver at home, but we're small and concealable and had high value when cashed in.
3. Survivors of the day would have carried any portable wealth ashore with them. You cannot carry chests of silver with you, but some rings and chains, and the "cream of your wealth might be worn so you could keep it with you at all times, and through all the tribulations of maritime travel.
4. The all important insurance, or savings. Which would you leave in a cache....the heavy specie, and bouillon?? Or 1 or 2 pieces of high end jewelry?? Seems a small portion of your wealth could be stashed as a last ditch means of wealth if all else failed. Somewhere you could always return to to recover your last ditch insurance money for escape !!
5. Once your dead....your dead.....any of this hidden wealth, or portable jewelry is then lost. If you drown, your bloated body covered in untaxed wealth could wash up on any key, cay, or rock for miles around. This "cream" so to speak may be on any beach or up in the island where so many died, or even hid there wealth !!

So as a low to no budget type treasure hunter, and having no permits, or underwater leases, or permission to excavate wrecks full of silver and gold. I've been reduced to beaches, and private property out of necessity. If I can't form a team, or participate in actual underwater excavation, then I will certainly pursue these "cream" finds on the shores and beaches of Florida, Bahamas, and carribean. Thinking outside the normal treasure tails, and pursuing your own possible theories....(Royal island in this case) are the only way to get the edge, and make new discoveries. Others might think "how do you start with a crazy hunt like this" first thing is you have to tell everyone who says your "crazy" to go fuc. Off and that they will not be included in your success. At this point your on your own, and it's up to you to make it happen....this season i missed my opportunity 😥....but....plans were hashed out for the next chance, and I've already seen/found enough in the past, to absolutely know i should try again !! Hoping to anchor in the inner harbor, and explore with a partner next spring !! Once you realize that a single find of pirate cache, Spanish jewelry, or hidden wealth stashed by colonists in an effort to hide it from attack is a real possibility your efforts become double, and your doubts of failure fade away. You absolutely can't make fantastic finds typing in this little machine like I'm doing now.....you must do the homework, and the physical work to win !! Just by actually going there and searching is what give someone the edge in this type of hunting. Layered history in the same spot is another advantage....I started to to hunt here because the fancy anchoring here and the possibilities weve discussed, but I quickly found other evidence regarding the privateer midas and it's attack on the island 100+years later !! Spanish, pirate, English, and American history all Layered together in one spot !!
Give yourself the best chance at success, and if you look for a pirate cache from 1697, and you find some silver from war of 1812, it's still a win !!

Last edited:
VideoCapture_20240911-185728.jpg

This is what's left of a window in a home ruin from 1755....it's a lord Dunmore family property !! Looking straight out of this window a t-net member fond a beautiful cache of coins many years back!! I found a silver spoon within 30 minutes of being on site. Do the homework and do the physical on the ground work and success is possible!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back