🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Image consistent with Fernando 1/4 real except it appears to be copper. Measures 12 mm and was found at early 1800s home site. Thanks!

RelicNoobs

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2022
IMG_20231110_222830163.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231110_222859487.jpg
    IMG_20231110_222859487.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 29
The authentic Fernando VII 1/4R coin was silver (0.896). The mint mark (small 'o' over 'M') was to the left of the castle and the value would be on the right. Below the castle would be the date. The series ran from 1808 to 1816. Your coin has a diameter of 12mm, the authentic coin had a diameter of 11 mm. (100% poor relica--if that was the intent).
Welcome to T-Net !!
Don in SoCal.

Upvote 5
Tee - hee! I think he meant there is a 95% chance it is fake. I wonder about the reason for faking such a small silver coin in copper? Not questioning the conclusion, just wondering. Unless it was once plated with silver, its faking would be obvious.

Upvote 2
Interesting.

Stylistically, that type of quarter-real without a mintmark, value or date is believed to have been struck circa 1788-1790 and probably for circulation throughout the Spanish colonial empire. It was previously assigned to Venezuela, but now often attributed to the Philippines. There are at least two varieties. Image copyright as marked:

Quarter Real.jpg

Numista regards the Philippines attribution as “questionable”:

It should be in silver (close to .900 fine) but would it be worthwhile for a contemporary counterfeiter to produce them in copper and silver wash them? I would say so. Contemporary counterfeiters often avoided high value coins because they were subjected to a higher level of scrutiny by the recipient.

Incidentally, a deviation of 1mm or so on the diameter of a coin like this, struck without a restraining collar, would be within normal tolerances.

Upvote 4
Learned a lot by the replies of M and R-C, thanks! So it likely was counterfeited in silver-washed copper for contemporary use. The silver has come off, like it does on many plated buttons I have found. All makes sense, now.

Upvote 2
Hey, Buddy!
I think you found a replica or a souvenir coin of the 1/4 real coin. They are sometimes for sale at historical archeologist's sites that are open partly for visitors. I have three Greek replicas coins that my sister gave me many years ago after visiting archeologist's working site of old town Chersones.
All the best, Buddy!
20231122_193142.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back