smt24219

Jan 20, 2014
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really hooked now

Took treblehunter's advice and watched some youtube vids on how to retrieve targets while conserving the site. Went back to my yard to practice and found these.

I did notice that my indicators on my 350 were a bit off though. The depth was off on the penny because it was just on the surface but it said 4". The quarter registered as 50 ct or $1. The dollar registered correctly at the right depth. Is this common?

I also need to work on pinpointing a bit better. The silver dollar was toward the side of the hole and I gouged it a bit with my digger. But I'm really loving this new hobby!

Attachments

• image-2821651323.jpg
    image-2821651323.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 7
Nice finds! Congrats! How high over over the target was your coil? That could be the issue, or possibly machine settings. Anyways, welcome to the addiction!

Thanks! I had the coil about an inch off the ground. Had disc set for zero and sensitivity set at 4 bars. 5 bars was making things a little squirrelly. Even after i dug them up, i tested them and got the same indicators.

It was your sensitivity setting that made it register off try turning it down 1 or 2 notches then check.

Surface finds do often read really deep....I think its the machine going into shock, LOL
Invest the money in a good pinpointer, the Garrett works great. Most of the time you can pinpoint coins from the surface that are several inches deep before you dig.
As far as target ID's I wouldn't let it bother you to much, you got three coin signals and you found three coins! Id say its a win! I love my gti 2500 but all machines have bad days....

Congrats on your silver dollar - AWESOME! :notworthy: :laughing7: :headbang: :laughing7: :hello2: I know we'd all love to pull one of those early in our detecting careers! HAVE FUN! Andi

I usually run my 350 in jewelry mode with the maximum sensitivity conditions allow (usually about 3/4). In jewelry mode you'll dig more trash than in coin mode,but will find gold where if you hunt in coin mode you'll pass right over the gold...actually..now that I think about it..you should definitely only hunt in coin mode and save the gold for me lol. Good luck and have fun

Congrats on your silver dollar - AWESOME! :notworthy: :laughing7: :headbang: :laughing7: :hello2: I know we'd all love to pull one of those early in our detecting careers! HAVE FUN! Andi

Thank you! I couldn't believe it when I dug it. Lol. I was just like "Holy $***!" Literally an hour into my first hunt. I'm afraid I set my bar too high. Lol

I usually run my 350 in jewelry mode with the maximum sensitivity conditions allow (usually about 3/4). In jewelry mode you'll dig more trash than in coin mode,but will find gold where if you hunt in coin mode you'll pass right over the gold...actually..now that I think about it..you should definitely only hunt in coin mode and save the gold for me lol. Good luck and have fun

Ha! I'd like some of that yellow stuff! :)

I'm just doing it on zero disc right now to just dig everything. I'll try your settings next. Thanks for the advice!

Nice finds there fellow keep'em swinging more to come trust me congrats nice:thumbsup:

Ha! I'd like some of that yellow stuff! :)

I'm just doing it on zero disc right now to just dig everything. I'll try your settings next. Thanks for the advice!

Well your on the right track, the next thing you need to do is tape over the VDI/VDU. Forget about it & listern.

http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/CoinDetail.aspx?CoinID=17416
Here is a link to your dollar.
It took me awhile to get good on pinpointing, I had to make sure to check a few times going left to right then top to bottom (crossing it) I would sometimes forget and just go left to right.
Xtremdigger is right, its worth the 130 bucks to have that Garrett pro-pointer and I check every time with it (even if my pinpointer on the machine says its deep) Allot of times the target is only a inch or two down and the pro-pointer will show exactly where it is. Then there is no chance of hitting it. Then try and get in the habit of, after you put dirt back in hole, check the hole again, with your machine to make sure there are not more then one targets in the hole. I have got in the habit of doing it the same way every time, so as not to miss anything.

That's really cool you found some cool finds in your own yard, now go back to the exact same spot and go over it from a different direction , real slow and real low and see if you find anything else. You might just surprise yourself with another Dollar piece or something else you might of missed.
Haaaaaaaaaaaa, your hooked now!

I NEVER put the dirt back in the hole and then re-check for other targets. I ALWAYS re-check the hole and the plug BEFORE putting the dirt back. Why open up the ground twice? It's not going to make anything show up better after replacing the dirt. The others are correct that a good pin pointer is a great toll for exact location of near surface targets. Keep at it and good luck!!

I run my Ace 250 in the All Metal mode, only discriminate iron unless relic hunting, with the sensitivity about 3 bars down. Seems to give you the best depth. Dig all good signals.
You won't miss any rings in the All Metal mode.......
I use the pinpointer from Harbor Freight ($17). It works fine, and if it does give you any problems...take it back and exchange it till you get a good one. If you have the money for the Garrett pinpointer...then go for it. The Ace 250 pinpoints very well...so I don't use the pinpointer that often. Gold fever is just around the corner.....you have been fore-warned...:thumbsup:
If you are in an area that is not trashy....you can turn up the sensitivity....I usually don't ever turn it all the way up though. Seems to be more unstable if you do. Go down 2 bars seems to be the best area for sensitivity. 3 bars if there's a lot of trash. Large foil will give you a good signal....I have found gold in that signal area....below nickel. Most rings that I have found ring up as nickel...the larger rings have rang up between nickel and pull tab. A 14k gold cross rang up between nickel and foil......so you never know till you dig it....

Last edited:
1974 D $1 MS Coin Sales | Ike Dollars Coin Market | NGC Coin Explorer
Here is a link to your dollar.
It took me awhile to get good on pinpointing, I had to make sure to check a few times going left to right then top to bottom (crossing it) I would sometimes forget and just go left to right.
Xtremdigger is right, its worth the 130 bucks to have that Garrett pro-pointer and I check every time with it (even if my pinpointer on the machine says its deep) Allot of times the target is only a inch or two down and the pro-pointer will show exactly where it is. Then there is no chance of hitting it. Then try and get in the habit of, after you put dirt back in hole, check the hole again, with your machine to make sure there are not more then one targets in the hole. I have got in the habit of doing it the same way every time, so as not to miss anything.

That's really cool you found some cool finds in your own yard, now go back to the exact same spot and go over it from a different direction , real slow and real low and see if you find anything else. You might just surprise yourself with another Dollar piece or something else you might of missed.
Haaaaaaaaaaaa, your hooked now!

Absolutely hooked! Too bad it's snowing like crazy today :/ I'll definitely go back over the areas. I still have quite a bit of yard to cover as well. I'm going to have to move our gigantic trampoline to get under it as well. I'd love to get a pinpointer as well the Garrett one if I could, but it is a little out of my budget at this moment. Just found out that two of my daughters are going to have to have braces and we also have to buy us another king size mattress, so unless I find a mother lode in my yard it will probably be a while. lol

I run my Ace 250 in the All Metal mode, only discriminate iron unless relic hunting, with the sensitivity about 3 bars down. Seems to give you the best depth. Dig all good signals.
You won't miss any rings in the All Metal mode.......
I use the pinpointer from Harbor Freight ($17). It works fine, and if it does give you any problems...take it back and exchange it till you get a good one. If you have the money for the Garrett pinpointer...then go for it. The Ace 250 pinpoints very well...so I don't use the pinpointer that often. Gold fever is just around the corner.....you have been fore-warned...:thumbsup:
If you are in an area that is not trashy....you can turn up the sensitivity....I usually don't ever turn it all the way up though. Seems to be more unstable if you do. Go down 2 bars seems to be the best area for sensitivity. 3 bars if there's a lot of trash. Large foil will give you a good signal....I have found gold in that signal area....below nickel. Most rings that I have found ring up as nickel...the larger rings have rang up between nickel and pull tab. A 14k gold cross rang up between nickel and foil......so you never know till you dig it....

I'm running in all metal mode as well because I want to try to learn how all the different things sound. I've found foil, a piece of tin, a nail (that I almost jabbed through my finger), and a couple of pull tabs. They all had a little different sound to them or weird combo of bing-bongs. But it is cool learning how to differentiate and try to guess what I'm getting ready to dig.

Do you think the cheaper pinpointer would be worth it, or just save until I can get the Garrett?

A little tidbit that I've noticed with my ace 250, the depth reading of the ace's pinpointer gives a truer depth than the detector does while searching.

The dollar you found is 100% clad but awesome find and good luck on the pinpointer

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back