Illegal scamming coin from the 50s...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Illegal scamming coin from the 50's...

The cool find from yesterday....
Back in the 50's when Coke and other soda vending machines were 10 cents for a bottle kids figured out how to scam these machines.
Take a cent, put it under the ball of your shoe and rub it back and forth on a concrete sidewalk.
Then work on grinding down the edges on concrete too.
When you are done you have a coin the size of a dime...but not a dime.
Important when you are a kid in the 50's when pennies really counted and you didn't mind or care that this was illegal.

This thing is way thinner than a dime as you can see in the pic...someone went too far, but the diameter is exactly correct.
I knew what this paper thin coin was all about immediately when I dug it because I had heard about kids doing this from another hunter on YouTube after he found one.
Good thing, I would still be confused about it to this moment if I hadn't.

Another cool coin oddity to add to the collection.

Attachments

• user10659_pic69657_1453125378.jpg
    user10659_pic69657_1453125378.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 939
Upvote 16
For shame, for shame..... I would never have done this sort of thing.... Burp.

Is there a name for this type penny?

I dug one recently, and wouldn't have thought anything about it if it hadn't been for this post.

sandfisher1

Is there a name for this type penny?

I dug one recently, and wouldn't have thought anything about it if it hadn't been for this post.

sandfisher1

Yes...
The official name is... "A one cent coin ground down to fool vending machines if you are a kid in the 50's with very little money or an adult that does not want to put a dime in a parking meter."

Just a guess, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back