Idea for when i find gold

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First im sure alot of you dont do this but when i get some gold i want to melt it and smelt it. Yes i now know the difference. Always wanted to do it plus if i find lead i can make scuba weights which iv wanted to do. I was looking at some gear and saw a part for melting. Curiosity got me looking at the molds i noticed one was a coin mold i think one was a gram and one was 5 grams. If you made a coin would it be thick enough to stamp lettering into. My though is be a cool thing to do with my first 5 grams and do one for a really good friend as she would love it. Given i just figured 5 grams is roughly 200 bucks of gold could you stamp the one gram coin

Upvote 0
Curious thought yet worthwhile in some respects. Flour gold is so fine that melting it down makes sense to me and even more sense to cast it into a circular slug. I would choose to Not melt down pickers or nuggets as they have more value as collectors pieces than does flour gold.

Safety is a concern as gold will be extremely hot, the 'mold' for the slug needs to be preheated to drive off all moisture and all metal will hold moisture. Any moisture and the gold & steam combo will throw very hot gold at the person pouring the molten gold, the person then drops the container of molten gold and from there it all goes downhill with hopefully nothing going into the eyes. Safety equipment is a must!

Stamping the cast slug should be easy as most raw gold is fairly soft, 14K plus, though stamping will be time consuming and keeping the letters/numbers lined up will take some trial and error work and even then perfect results are not likely Unless all the letters are in a holding fixture though even then it is a hit and miss system.

Best of luck with the finding of the raw material and the rest of the quest!...................63bkpkr

Im sure it would not be perfect but i wouldnt mind. I think stamp my initials on it the year and put it on a neckless. Would be a great souvenir. Plus u almost got 200 bucks on ur neck u could sell if u ever got in a jam bout anywhere lol

I've always joked about "shmelting" 1 Oz down to a mini gold bar, 1/400th scale. possibly w/ my initials as well.....Have always thought that'd be fun....

I think so to. Idk im weird i like doing that kinda stuff. Like id have a blast making lead weight. Ofcourse smelting a pound of gold and making stuff is just alittle funner. Like when we got scuba certified we bought our gear. Iv got 7000 worth of scuba gear in my clset 1000 regulator 1000 bcd 500 back plate bc all i need to go diving in the tropics or go to nome and cut a hole on ice dive for cold but i had a problem paying 5-10 bucks a pound for a lead block. I was gonna make our own propane burner cast iron pot 50 cent scrap lead. I got luck found some used for 2 bucks pound but its still something i want to do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back