Aug 19, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys, a few years ago I was walking along the beach and I began talking to a man who does metal detecting for a hobby. I asked him what he had found that day and he held out two coins and a ship spike. (I had no idea that it was a ship spike of course). He said he had others at home so he gave me the spike to keep. It has a square head and is heavy, it also has some specs of something shiny in it. I remember him telling me that it was from a ship dating back to the 1800s and he also said something about the material having some specs of either gold, or silver in it. I would really like to know more about the history of the ships being built with these spikes and I would also like to know what material it is. Any info would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 134
need more pics, less your fingers
need complete dimensions
need a nice pic of the end under your thumb
Looks like Brass?
Brady

Upvote 0
I'm fascinated by the history

Im hearing that this spike is over two hundred years old. i would love to know the history. what kind of ship, what the specs are that are shinning, the value of something such as this.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a spike. The head looks like it has never been hammered. I would say that it is a keeper pin maybe for a windlass or other movable device. the casting is smooth so I would say that it's newer late 18'/early19s. The material looks red brass, I don't think they had yellow brass back then. As for what type ship,, pick one, they all used that type. Tony

Upvote 0
vhs07. Wow that looks exact. The first one looks the same. I wonder if it is from a galleon. and the only thing i can't figure out is why there seems to be pieces of something shiny in it. Could it be gold? little flecs of it? or is that just the brass?

Upvote 0
It's a brass square nail and dates back to the days of sail, wooden ships and iron men. Neat find. The shiny specks are brass, where the patina has been rubbed off.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, Welcome aboard TNet.

Upvote 0
you'll get more informed answers on the shipwreck forum - guys that find those for a living there

Upvote 0
thanks Bosnmate! this is my first find. hoping that I have some other neat finds as cool as this one. I'm fascinated with treasure hunting

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back