30 KB · Views: 525
  • P1000956.JPG
    P1000956.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 525
  • P1000958.JPG
    P1000958.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 487
Dave44 said:
Buckleboy made me clean these, Well I am not through, but was wondering if anyone had seen a brooch thing like this, has a loop on the back like it was a belt buckle, loop is big too, but it doesn't seem strong enough for that. And one button Is a union navy but the other 2 I am not sure of, ,the cannon balls seem to be too large :help:
All 3 US Navy buttons look post CW. A pic of the back (brooch)would help.

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Dave44 said:
Buckleboy made me clean these, Well I am not through, but was wondering if anyone had seen a brooch thing like this, has a loop on the back like it was a belt buckle, loop is big too, but it doesn't seem strong enough for that. And one button Is a union navy but the other 2 I am not sure of, ,the cannon balls seem to be too large :help:
All 3 US Navy buttons look post CW. A pic of the back (brooch)would help.

Upvote 0
Cleaned some more, you fellas know more about the buttons but the one on the left is being sold on sites as union navy, backmark for you, But that doesn't make it true ;D. The one on the right only says extra quality. So .. what about the brooch thing?

Attachments

• P1000960.JPG
    P1000960.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 399
  • P1000961.JPG
    P1000961.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 394
  • P1000962.JPG
    P1000962.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 399
  • P1000963.JPG
    P1000963.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
Looks like a "Sash buckle" to me, but I'm not an expert. No idea on the buttons. Niffler

Upvote 0
Dave44 said:
Cleaned some more, you fellas know more about the buttons but the one on the left is being sold on sites as union navy, backmark for you, But that doesn't make it true ;D. The one on the right only says extra quality. So .. what about the brooch thing?
Post the pic of the Union Navy button and Ill show you the difference with the anchor. I have some CW Union buttons but Ill have to search. They are nice old buttons but they appear post CW, all 3.

The brooch thing looks old but I dont know anything else. Does it come to a point? or is it broken at the tip? Or is it attached on both ends? I cant see the bottom end very well in the pic.

Upvote 0
Here is an old post of mine. I was told that with a CW Union button, the very tip of the anchor flute will be hidden under the wing. It appears that your anchor flute is not under wing making it post CW. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59629.0.html

Maybe someone with Alberts book will verify.

Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 374
  • MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 0
Thanks Big. So then the question is,, timeline , it is so close, the one on the left , then the one on the right is another progression,, I love that stuff. Think it is Phillipine era? pre ww1?

Upvote 0
It appears the same backmark as mine. Your anchor flute does not go behind or in front. :icon_scratch: Its very close. Someone else will need to verify my determination but I was told the anchor flute/left wing was the determination factor. :read2:

If its not CW its probably just after in the Indian War era is my guess.

Attachments

• MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 371
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0
Sorry Big I also meant to say that I think the brooch thingy had a wreath all the way around, it looks nearly like it is whole, but off some how, if I guessed it was missing Half wreath, I am amazed at how welll it is cleaning up tho. I don't think its heavy enough to be gold, maybe a really good gold leaf?

Upvote 0
Dave44 said:
Sorry Big I also meant to say that I think the brooch thingy had a wreath all the way around, it looks nearly like it is whole, but off some how, if I guessed it was missing Half wreath, I am amazed at how welll it is cleaning up tho. I don't think its heavy enough to be gold, maybe a really good gold leaf?
Yes I think it had a wreath too but I cant tell by the pic if thats a pointed pin back.

Upvote 0
Oh I didn't understand, no not a point or pin, it is attached like a loop. Like you would see on a buckle.

Upvote 0
Ok I see now. Because it appears off center, my guess would be a womans buckle or sash buckle. But just a guess.

Attachments

• buckleJK2sash.jpg
    buckleJK2sash.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 419
  • buckleJK2sash.jpg
    buckleJK2sash.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
What era is that Big, I looks as if it could be as fragile as mine.. you have found some nice things in respectable condition!

Upvote 0
Dave44 said:
What era is that Big, I looks as if it could be as fragile as mine.. you have found some nice things in respectable condition!
The buttons are mine but the buckle pic is from the internet. I think its Victorian era.

Upvote 0
olroy70 said:
Have no clue, except maybe a decoration on a bag, maybe......

Love the buttons!

Thanx ol roy

Upvote 0
I'm straying from the brooch here, but bigcy is right about the anchor point from Union Navy buttons being buried under the wing. Here's a CW I dug (before/after). I would have sworn up and down yours' was CW until I checked that anchor tip. Was never aware of this distinction until bigcy brought it up. Again, I bow to bigcy's eye! :notworthy:

Attachments

• navy_BeforeAfter copy.jpg
    navy_BeforeAfter copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
Going from the large ruff (collar) i'd guess it's a depiction of Queen Elizabeth I.

elizabethI.jpg

Possibly a military buckle/adornment for a shoulder sash or similar.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back