✅ SOLVED ID Help on CW stuff...

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
If someone can help me identify these pieces from CW camp, I'd sure appreciate it. I plan on giving a bunch of smalls away to my son's history class, as they are studying the Civil War. These are the ones I'm having trouble with identifying and I want to give an accurate description on what I give them. Thanks a million!

ForumRunner_20130322_145836.png

ForumRunner_20130322_145807.png

ForumRunner_20130322_145657.png

ForumRunner_20130322_145610.png

ForumRunner_20130322_145525.png

ForumRunner_20130322_145456.png

ForumRunner_20130322_145357.png

First piece is part of a spur
second resembles a fuse(not my line of knowledge)
third is the finger loop for a chamber stick...candle holder
fourth is a musical instrument reed
fifth?
sixth is a main spring(?)it is part of a firing mechanism in a gun
seventh is another piece to a spur.....................all appear to be "period"

Upvote 0
Photo 1: Broken-off end of a "Confederate-style" brass spur ("Confederate-style" simply means back of strap-holder is sloping instead of being squared-off).
Photo 2: Iron breech-plug from a civil war Enfield rifle (used by both US and CS troops).
Photo 3: Finger-holder ring from the base-rim of a candleholder.
Photo 4: Reed from a musical instrument.
Photo 5: Sword-scabbard band (can be either US or CS-made).
Photo 6: Civil war Springfield or Enfield rifle lockplate spring.
Photo 7: Broken brass spur (possibly CS but can't be sure from the only photo of it).

I'll add photos showing the various objects when I have time to find them on my computer.

Edit: Kuger and I were typing at the same time -- actually while I was searching for photos.

Attachments

• horsegear_spur_CS-style_with-rowel.jpg
    horsegear_spur_CS-style_with-rowel.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 64
  • diagram_gunparts_Enfield-model-P1853_creskol_pic80328.jpg
    diagram_gunparts_Enfield-model-P1853_creskol_pic80328.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 69
  • candlestick-holder-with-fingerring_Ebay_3.jpg
    candlestick-holder-with-fingerring_Ebay_3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 68
  • sword_Foot-Officer_1850_Ames_scabbard-throat_sideview2_ebay.jpg
    sword_Foot-Officer_1850_Ames_scabbard-throat_sideview2_ebay.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 69
  • gunpart_lockplate_Richmond_CS_backview_actionparts_DSC00165.jpg
    gunpart_lockplate_Richmond_CS_backview_actionparts_DSC00165.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Upvote 0
First piece is part of a spur
second resembles a fuse(not my line of knowledge)
third is the finger loop for a chamber stick...candle holder
fourth is a musical instrument reed
fifth?
sixth is a main spring(?)it is part of a firing mechanism in a gun
seventh is another piece to a spur.....................all appear to be "period"

I kinda have had the same guesses and same unknowns. Lol! The instrument reed still has me puzzled. I know it's not harmonica, but whatever it is is beyond me.

Upvote 0
CannonBallGuy...somehow I knew you'd have the answers. Any idea on the instrument reed?? What kind, etc.?

Upvote 0
:laughing7: Mr. CBall and I......

Upvote 0
:icon_thumright: Kudo's to you for getting the younger generation educated right,and interested

Upvote 0
Kuger wrote:
> :) Mr. CBall and I......

...make a good team for excavated civil war relics ID. :)
Thats a Huge compliment my friend....I was just tickled your ID's concurred with mine,and I learned what a breech plug and sword scabbard band is :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Kuger and Pete nailed it again! Great job guys. We are lucky to have them (and several others that are good too) on this forum.

Upvote 0
:icon_thumright: Kudo's to you for getting the younger generation educated right,and interested

Thanks! Although my calling was a little different than most (as evidenced by my icon), I was a history major in college. Have loved relic hunting for many years (from many different periods of time). As such, I have accumulated many things...and many things I would never part with. I have never profited from relics, mainly because I don't sell. However, if someone is genuinely interested, including younger folks...I will give them pieces of history to hold in their hands and keep for their very own. I have had kids that I had given relics to several years before, tell me that they still have them and actually appreciate them. That's worth more to me than any amount of money. As to the quick I.D., thanks again!

Upvote 0
...and apparently I'm challenged with some technology. Can one of you admins. mark this "solved"?

Upvote 0
I've def learned a lot from you two since I've been on this forum. Thanks for all your knowledge! Don't ever leave TN! And Nhbenz ..you too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back