Attachments

• DSCF1731.JPG
    DSCF1731.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCF1735.JPG
    DSCF1735.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0
It looks to be the primer for some sort of firepower, but I don't think they were in wide use during the civil war. I can't tell from the pics how big it is. Can you give a bit more detail on it?

Thanks for the reply JC. The dimensions are approx 2 1/4 inches wide at the top, 1 3/4 inch at the bottom and, 1/2 inch thick. Doesn't appear to be threaded but it's hard to say for sure due to the "crust". For what it's worth, there was a huge blob of iron on the bottom of this piece but I chipped it away to get to the most defined portion.

I should have said that the relics that I've found on this site are military relics! Two tnet members thought that a few of the buttons that I found might possibly pre-date the Civil War. Every single bullet that I've found is of the round ball variety....no ringers.

Sure hope this helps.

I definately believe it to be some sort of a fuse for artillery as I said before, and I agree with the strong possibility that it may be from a parrot or a James rifle, even the dimensions fit. Try out this website and see if it helps, it should be of some use. I really hope that is what it is, that would be a really nice find, a shot and exploded piece of artillery. Good luck and let me know how your investigation goes.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/

JChambers

This looks like the back of the nose section of a Hotchkiss projectile. This would be the part that sits inside the base cup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back