I Wish The Pics Where Better

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I Wish The Pics Were Better

Yep. I seen and heard it all.. I too which the pics where better.. (my pics that is) I tried yesterday to psot a few pics on twitter.. Mainly the Root Beer Smokey Quartz and the Black Obsidian and both didn't turn out to well due to the fact my cell isn't the best thing to use while taking micro shots of stones.

Image From Twitter: Twitter / StoneWhisper: Black Obsidian http://t.co/SAxAErtZ

So ill have to resort to taking pics with my Kodak camera. But seeing how many here are still sturggling with their own images.. I wanted to offer up a few suggestions.

First and formost.. The main thing to remember is not get to close to your samples.. Its hard for the camera to focus on any one area of the stone.. Typically stand back a few inches.. wait to the cross hairs (which means something within your images is in focus) you may have to take several shots to get oen right..

Next: If your hands shake like mine.. try a table top, chair tripod etc.. to steady your camera. Make sure your cameras settign is at it's highest reselution poissiable. Never attempt to think you ahve a great image when viewing the stone in the little window at the back of the camera.. You'll need to transfer all images to your computer using the softward which came with your camera. If you didn't get this software.. sites like photobucket etc allow you to edit your iamges.. Often cropping is all thats needed.. Once croped the images will become more clear and then you should see better results.

Take this image for instance:
100_1528.JPG
Note that I used a small light box, but just off camera, I used two white lights (blubs) and one mirror. Thus creating a bright image.. just not overexposed.

Lightboxes can be easyly made and offer a great source of light be it when the subject is on the box or used as an alternitive source of light.

So here is what I have to do.. Take better images myself and post them at Treasure net or at an image hosting site then redirect..

Update: I've log in form a friends house today and just taken a few images with my camera and reposted on my image storage site.. hoping these are way better then the cell images. and thanks for viewing.
100E1759.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back