I Was NOT Expecting this!!! 1800's SILVER!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been detecting a late 1800's house in town, and methodically gridding off the front and back yard. This was probably at least my 5th or 6th trip there.
I was there about a week ago but the ground was still frozen. I stopped by today for my last hunt at this house, and was pleasantly surprised in the backyard.
Let me first mention that the only coins other than clad, have been wheat pennies, a mid 1800's 5 Centimes, and one Merc dime.
Today, I could not believe my eyes when I spotted a tiny coin in the plug. At first I thought it was one of those 1950's play money coins again, but it turned out to be.............
An 1858"O" Seated Liberty Half Dime!!!! :headbang::hello2::icon_thumright::headbang::hello2:
I was starting to have doubts recently if my old detector was still up to snuff, but my Mighty Tesoro Vaquero proved it's worth once again!
I have never dug a seated Liberty half dime before, only an 1833 Capped Bust half dime. So I can check this one off the bucket list.

Other finds were:
*An Asian mystery coin with "10" on it.
Anyone able to I.D. this coin? Age?

*Tent tensioner, Large screw, Brass faucet knob, Folding Carolina Tractor pocket knife, Pulley, Face of a Compass, 1960's Pepsodent tube, 1950"D" wheat.

I will be making this homeowner a relic display as my way of thanking her. Will post it when I'm done with it.

Thanks for l@@king Folks,
MM

Attachments

• 1858jd.jpg
    1858jd.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 1858jd2.jpg
    1858jd2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 1858ob.jpg
    1858ob.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 1858of.jpg
    1858of.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 1858r3.jpg
    1858r3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1858r4.jpg
    1858r4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1858r1.jpg
    1858r1.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1858r2.jpg
    1858r2.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 1858r5.jpg
    1858r5.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 43
All nice finds. That seated is outstanding!
Thank you Sibbley. It was my maiden voyage using my new Predator Spartan shovel today. I see I nicked the Asian "mystery coins". Thank God I didnt nick the Half Dime. :laughing7:

Congrats on the half dime, a hard little coin to find.
You got that right Mike. Once I saw it was a silver coin I was thinking it may be a trime. I've only dug one of those in my career too.

That is a fantastic looking half dime. Nice.
The other coin is a Japanese 10 Yen
Thank you so much for the ID. That's the second foreign coin from this yard.
I was just reading this about the coin:

Last edited:
So I've been detecting a late 1800's house in town, and methodically gridding off the front and back yard. This was probably at least my 5th or 6th trip there.
I was there about a week ago but the ground was still frozen. I stopped by today for my last hunt at this house, and was pleasantly surprised in the backyard.
Let me first mention that the only coins other than clad, have been wheat pennies, a mid 1800's 5 Centimes, and one Merc dime.
Today, I could not believe my eyes when I spotted a tiny coin in the plug. At first I thought it was one of those 1950's play money coins again, but it turned out to be.............
An 1858"O" Seated Liberty Half Dime!!!! :headbang::hello2::icon_thumright::headbang::hello2:
I was starting to have doubts recently if my old detector was still up to snuff, but my Mighty Tesoro Vaquero proved it's worth once again!
I have never dug a seated Liberty half dime before, only an 1833 Capped Bust half dime. So I can check this one off the bucket list.

Other finds were:

*Tent tensioner, Large screw, Brass faucet knob, Folding Carolina Tractor pocket knife, Pulley, Face of a Compass, 1960's Pepsodent tube, 1950"D" wheat.

I will be making this homeowner a relic display as my way of thanking her. Will post it when I'm done with it.

MM
Congrats!!

Other finds were:

MM
Congrats!! I would be smiling for weeks after 😄

Other finds were:

MM
sweet finds man !!!

Thanks for the great replies everyone.

So it looks like the Asian "mystery coin" is a 10 Yen . Thanks CJ9 for the fast ID.
Reading up on these, it looks like mine is in the 1951 - present group, since it is copper with a smooth edge.
Oh well, it looks older at least. LOL.

MM

Other finds were:

MM
Great post... I've got a tesoro compadre and have wondered the same...and huge congratulations on your silver seated half liberty dime!

Other finds were:

MM
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back