i was DUMB

Shiftlngsands

Greenie
May 25, 2004
Oswego NY
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III
i just wanted to share a little experience i had a long time ago. i think i was 15 or so at the time so 20 years ago they were building a park along the oswego river in oswego NY and had dug in prep for pouring cement and building the walkway. well the cast off material dirt gravel and about 3000 old bottles of all shapes and sizes and me being the ignorant kid i was stood there for hours throwing the bottles against rocks and back into the river. i think back now to how many bottles had writing on them and how many said oswego syracuse boston you name a city on the east coast and i broke one of their bottles. but what kills me is today i visted an uncle who has been collecting for years and there on his shelfs were the same bottles i destroyed years before. how careful he was showing me each one and telling me the story behind it. how dumb i was

OUCH!!!!!!!
I feel your pain. Thats got to hurt,but what r ya gonna do?Knowledge is key.I've been there,,but not to your extreme.If only we all knew,,back then what we know now!!!!

Good Luck

Amen on the OUCH !!!!! But, you evidentlly did learn a valuable lesson. We all learn from situations like that. Try not to feel too bad about it.
BRD

Destiny

Combine a 15 year old and bottles, near any hard surface, and you get broken glass. It's a natural law, no sense fightin' it. :roll:

How many treasures slipped through our hands whilst young and foolish that bring out bittersweet memories now?...sigh..........................
.................................................... OH sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, don't beat yourself up about it, it doesn't help. Besides, there's always someone willing to do the beating for you. :P

Maybe you didn't get them all. Try going back to the spot and looking around with you eyes wide open :o.

Hey, don't feel so bad. My story goes back to the 1950's/early 60's on a farm in Minnesota. Farm went back to 1880's and my family farmed it since late 1930's. We hauled bottles and cans to the "junkpile" across the fence in the pasture about 200' from the house. They made real nice targets for a kid armed with a bb gun and .22 rifle. I was Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger all wrapped up in one!!!!! If I could see the glass bottle, it suffered a shattering death. Every one of those farms had junkpiles in the groves.

Hey you know after reading your post dfxdude it reminded me of growing up around the old family farm. My cousin and I when we were about 9 or 10 would tramp through the woods around the farm. We found grandpaws bottle dump, except they were all mason jars with some copper tubing. big pile of broken jars. Later in life I was told Grandpaw had one of the 1st cars in that end of the county. When I grew up came home from the Vietnam and became a deputy I heard the rest of the story. Grandpaw did have one of the 1st cars around to deliver his moonshine. The pile of broken jars my cousin and I found was where the revenuers found one of his stills back in the 30's.

:( :'( :o I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL-WHERE I MOVED TO WHEN I WAS YOUNG; ABOUT 100 YEARS AGO; THERE WAS AN OLD BOTTLE DUMP BEHIND MY HOUSE.LOTS OF GLASS;MYB-BGUN;TARGET PRACTICE............YOU KNOW THE REST-EXCUSE ME NOW,I FEEL A GOOD CRY COMING ON............... :'(

shifting sands don't feel bad. I look on the bright side. Now anyone then owns those bottles they are now just a little harder to find in good condition. You may have driven up the value for everyone else. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back