I think a teller has an issue with me getting coins

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I go to USBANK and there is this one teller that I always seem to have issues with. She dosen't seem to mind cashing in my coins, but when I want to buy some that is when she will say something like "I don't have any" or anything at all. I usually only do 30 dollars at a time, since im only 15. What I don't understand is, I live across the street from the bank and the Brinks truck comes 2 -3 times a week and they take coins in and out. Yet she dosen't have any pennies or Nickels? I love to do pennies, and she will NEVER give any more pennies than like 5 dollars because she has to have enough for her drawer. I think sometimes if she is in a bad mood she just won't do it. I go there after school each day, and another USBANK in another town on Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays. I'd go to other banks in town but I never can get anything good, and this bank is the only one I usually find goodies in. Any advice?

Upvote 0
Are there any other tellers you can talk to? They definatley should have enough pennies. How many are you looking to get?

Just around $25.00 - $30.00. There are other tellers but she is the "head teller" and is usually the one that isn't busy. I'm not the only person that has had issues with her though

I'm also a penny and nickel collector. I have the same problem from time to time and I understand your frustrations. I do not have a solution to that particular teller but here are a few tips/ ideas to help you out. First try being overly polite and cheerful to her and see if that works. If it fails.... try a different teller or at a different time. NOTE- Never act nasty to the bank! It will result only in further frustrations.

Ideas (you may already try these, but just throwing them out there):
1.) Recycle all the cans, glasses, and bottles that you can find (see if your neighbors/ friends won't help also). When you turn them in ask "Can I get Penny and Nickel rolls instead of bills?" I have only had one person turn me down!
2.) Look under every vending machine in town. If people drop change under a machine they usually won't crawl under it to fetch it. Take the quarters and dimes (unless silver/ collectible) and cash them in a nearby store/ bank for a roll of pennies!
3.) Search where people normally pull out keys or change their clothes! I usually find a couple of coins in gym locker rooms, department store changing rooms, and in parking lots.
4.) The library! Yes, I said the library! Older people still carry a pocket full of change where ever they go (including the library). When they sit in those comfy chairs it spills out of their pockets! ;>

These are just suggestions, but I hope you find something useful!

Is there a branch manager you can speak to? They should be able to order an extra box of pennies for you if your polite about it. It's not like there's a shortage of them like half dollars. Yesterday I went to a couple banks and in one of them I asked if they had any rolled dimes because I wasn't finding any that had half dollars and they were able to give me a whole box of them without any problems.

When she does give you like $5 in pennies are they from her drawer or does she go into the vault to go get them?

I have a gas station I buy from, and whenever I buy something and the change is like $1.83 I'll ask for 3 rolls of pennies and 33 cents. They look at you crazy but it works. I'm actually in the process of getting ready to go over, since I don't have school today and attempt to get some treasures. If not, i'm going to order some boxes. Thanks

Is there a branch manager you can speak to? They should be able to order an extra box of pennies for you if your polite about it. It's not like there's a shortage of them like half dollars. Yesterday I went to a couple banks and in one of them I asked if they had any rolled dimes because I wasn't finding any that had half dollars and they were able to give me a whole box of them without any problems.

When she does give you like $5 in pennies are they from her drawer or does she go into the vault to go get them?

She dosen't go to the vault. She says she has none. I've went to other tellers, and they say they are not allowed into the vault without that one teller there "If she is off or something".

You didn't specify, but you have an account with USBank right? If you don't then you can't argue much, but if you do then you should be able to get whatever you want without a headache.

I think she gets annoyed because at all the banks here if the teller buys from the vault the minimum buy is $2000, they cant just buy 20 bucks in coins or whatever.

I would ask her ahead of time and say I'll be in Wed, can you buy an extra box of pennies from the vault on Wed and I will come pick it up. If you are still getting the cold shoulder then I would ask why you cant get the service you need as a customer, when you need it. Small branches carry less coinage but if you ask for it or order it then it should make it easier for her. If none of that is working get the manager involved that you are not recieving excellent customer service.

You didn't specify, but you have an account with USBank right? If you don't then you can't argue much, but if you do then you should be able to get whatever you want without a headache.

I think she gets annoyed because at all the banks here if the teller buys from the vault the minimum buy is $2000, they cant just buy 20 bucks in coins or whatever.

I would ask her ahead of time and say I'll be in Wed, can you buy an extra box of pennies from the vault on Wed and I will come pick it up. If you are still getting the cold shoulder then I would ask why you cant get the service you need as a customer, when you need it. Small branches carry less coinage but if you ask for it or order it then it should make it easier for her. If none of that is working get the manager involved that you are not recieving excellent customer service.

Yea I have an account. This Branch is bigger than the one I go to in another town, and the one in the other town gives me as much as I want. I just got back from the bank, and she did give in and gave me $20 in pennies, and $12 in presidential/sacquweas and I asked if I could order some boxes or have her next time a truck comes get an extra three or four, and she said she usually can't unless its for a business use. I'm going with my Dad there tomorrow, and talking to the Branch Manager. Thanks!!

Order a box of pennies. I can go into most banks, and ask for a box of pennies, dont worry about not having an account. If they say no, move on to the next. Either ask for a whole box or have your head teller friend, order you a box, she will love that.

Order a box of pennies. I can go into most banks, and ask for a box of pennies, dont worry about not having an account. If they say no, move on to the next. Either ask for a whole box or have your head teller friend, order you a box, she will love that.

She said she can only do it for businesses. I'm going there with my Dad tomorrow. I am running a business technicly.

Just a thought, maybe you could share with her what you are doing and how you appreciate her help. Bring her into your hobby by saying I found this one (nice wheat cent) yesterday and that sure helped. Do you have any ideas where I may find ?

Your trouble may be that this teller thinks that if you get coins from them, you will just bring them back to cash in.

If that is so, you would be loading a double amount of busywork into their schedule.

You may not be doing this at all, but if they THINK you are doing it, the result is the same.

Dumping the same coins that you buy at one bank always causes trouble sooner or later.

Just sayin'.

Keep on Rollin' !

Your trouble may be that this teller thinks that if you get coins from them, you will just bring them back to cash in.

You may not be doing this at all, but if they THINK you are doing it, the result is the same.

It would be good if this is the case because it is fairly easy to convince her that you will not bring them back to the same bank as you ordered from.

Find out which tellers are friendlier and ask to see them. Also ask for hand rolled pennies because they are often more likely to give away hand rolled coins and you may also find dimes in them.

You are dumping where you pick up no good. Plus they are lazy .And if she does'nt like you.?? Do what you can and find a good bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back