I Spent $500 on Shipwreck Silver Coins from SS Central America

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently ordered $500 in shipwreck silver coins from the famous SS Central America and I wanted to share their history with everyone. These 1853 and 1855 Chilean 50 Centavos are pretty unusual due to the fact historians and marine archaeologists were able to piece together clues to find the original owner.

Pascual Esquerra was a Chilean businessman who was aboard the ship as it sailed its way to New York in 1857. In addition to his chests of silver coins was 30,000 Lbs of gold with a melt value of round $1.1 billion. The SS Central America encountered a hurricane of the coast of South Carolina and eventually sank claiming the live of 425 people including Mr. Esquerra. It is surreal to hold these coins when you know the sad history behind them.

I noticed the price of these coins jumped from $99 to $175 literal during the time I was editing this video. Dang, should I change the title to $875 in shipwreck coins? jk Nice profit I guess.

Wow! Great video! Thanks for sharing this!

If Tommy Thompson can remember where he put an additional 500 coins (gold ones!), perhaps his investors might be willing to sell some of those.

Wow! Great video! Thanks for sharing this!

If Tommy Thompson can remember where he put an additional 500 coins (gold ones!), perhaps his investors might be willing to sell some of those.
Thanks for watching it.

I would like to own a gold coin from the Central America one day. In the meanwhile these coins will suffice as the price jump between the silver centavos and a $20 double eagle is a bit extreme even for me. It would be cool to buy one of the Thompson coins if they are ever found. I'm sure they have to be key dates though.

Has anyone spoke or visited with Tommy recently ?
Do people on this board know him? I guess someone has to since the board is pretty big.

No matter if the person is in the right or wrong, I think it is sad what the legal system is doing to him. I don't understand how holding him indefinitely is even constitutional. It should have just been a finite sentence like normal trials and offer a reduction in time if coins are recovered (I am aware he served some sort of sentence already). Scary stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back