I.O.O.F Item needs ID

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys and gals. I found this item about a year ago. I've researched and found out that this was an Independent Order of Odd Fellows piece. More research shows that one of the founders of I.O.O.F. Thomas Wildey on his quest to start lodges in the U.S. visited Natchez, ms where this item was found in the early 1800's. He started a lodge and encampment here in the Early 1800's. On the same site where this was recovered I found a patriarchs militant belt buckle and button. I Contacted the main lodge trying to figure out what it was. The folks asked there eldest members if they knew what it was and they said it pre dated there oldest member and that he had never seen anything like it before. That is where my quest to figure out what it was stopped. So I come to you looking for answers. I know what the symbols represent, but do not know what the piece is exactly. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0235.jpg

On the 3rd of October, 1835, he was made Traveling Agent of the Grand Lodge of the United States and he accepted this appointment. In March, 1837, we find him in Pittsburgh and from Pittsburgh to Wheeling, West Virginia, on through the interior of Ohio, accompanied by the Grand Lodge of Ohio with a band of music, he embarks and makes a triumphant entry into Louisville, Kentucky. In his progress he reaches Natchez on the 25th of April where he establishes a Lodge and forms an encampment. Before leaving, he also institutes the Grand Lodge of Mississippi. Afterwards, entering Alabama, he opened an encampment in Mobile and provided for the institution of Mobile Lodge No. 2.

Interesting... how big is it and what does the back look like?

It may be a dangle from a badge/delegate pin... or a watch fob, or a sash pin. By the worn look I think a "fob".

Upvote 0
This thing is big.. About 10-12 inches tall and 6 inches wide. This is the back.
IMG_0233.jpg

Upvote 0
At that size, and showing signs of having attachments on the back, I will say it is a grave marker/memorial....such as the ones commonly seen for the GAR.

Attachments

• migal-b106.jpg
    migal-b106.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 281
  • sax124.jpg
    sax124.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 284
  • sax126.jpg
    sax126.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
I do know the site had an old house on it. It is no longer there.

Upvote 0
Yep I.O.O.F. Cufflink.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back