I need your help in identifying a class ring! -SOLVED-owner found 4/15/2009

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I recently found a class ring from the early 1960's. It has the graduation date, the students initials, but only the initials of the high school. This is where I'm hoping to tap into the knowledge of TreasureNet users. The high school's initials are RS and there appears to be a shovel and pick as part of the emblem. I'm only going to show the emblem though. If anyone recognizes this school emblem or thinks they may know which school it is could you post a reply? I would love to return the ring to the rightful owner. I have been successful in the past but this one has me stumped!

The ring is stamped Josten's 10K on the inside of the band. I contacted Josten's and they informed me that it is too old for them locate the school.

------UPDATE-------

I've received a reply from Rock Springs High School and it is in fact their emblem. They will be helping me find the owner and I hope to inform you all that the ring has been successfully returned! I'll keep you posted....

-------UPDATE 4/15/2009--------

Owner found :thumbsup:!! See my post below for more details.

Attachments

• Class ring.JPG
    Class ring.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 948
  • Class ring.JPG
    Class ring.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 909
Re: I need your help in identifying a class ring!

Reminds me more of a Masons ring. ???

Upvote 0

Rock Springs High School? in Rock Springs, Wyoming. If we thought of the criss-crossed item as a pick and shovel this would fit, as Rock Springs does a lot of mining. (or used to)

Upvote 0

NHbenz said:
Rock Springs High School? in Rock Springs, Wyoming. If we thought of the criss-crossed item as a pick and shovel this would fit, as Rock Springs does a lot of mining. (or used to)
Thats a good direction to try first.
DG

Upvote 0

Thanks for all of the ideas. To answer a couple questions that were posted. Yes, the ring was found in Washington State and yes, I have tried classringfinder.com (no luck there either). I like the idea that the two items that look like a pick and shovel are actually a polo mallet and la cross stick, that makes a lot more sense than a pick and shovel. I'll give Rock Springs High School in Wyoming a try and see what I come up with. Keep the ideas coming in! If I am successful returning the ring I'll be sure to post it.

Upvote 0

Dumb old me. I thought the symbols were a pick and shovel. So, I thought maybe a college of engineering and mines? There is one some place in Colorado. Monty

Upvote 0

This is a little information I found. Maybe from Rutherfordton, NC. Name of school is R-S central high school. Mascot is "hilltoppers". This is a Mountaineer town so very well could be a pick and shovel. When I checked out their yearbook site I see that they currently use Josten's. Just an idea. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Monty said:
Dumb old me. I thought the symbols were a pick and shovel. So, I thought maybe a college of engineering and mines? There is one some place in Colorado. Monty
I'm with you Monty....looks like a pick and shovel...mining equipment.
(not to mention the torch at the top)
The Colorado School of Mines has been around since 1874.
maybe not them, but a similar school??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_School_of_Mines

Upvote 0

Justine... the torch is a long time symbol for many schools representing the light or torch of knowledge... it's an age old common theme. I also suggested the polo mallet and lacross stick, maybe it IS a pick and shovel...

Upvote 0

montana jim...
I take it back.
(as a woman, it IS my prerogative to change my mind)
though I still think it's a pick and shovel,
definately a high school ring.
very cryptic, but it is definately R.S. H.S.

Upvote 0

Thanks again for all of the ideas. I've sent an email to the principal of Rock Springs High School explaining the discovery of the ring and hopes of returning it to the rightful owner. So far no responses, but as promised, I will keep you all posted.

Upvote 0
Re: I need your help in identifying a class ring! -Update-

Here's an outsiders view on the ring, and it's fairly close to Wyoming. How about Rapid City, South Dakota. I know that they have a School of Mines College there, and maybe one of their high schools uses or used that symbol.

Hope you are able to figure it out.

Upvote 0
Re: I need your help in identifying a class ring! -Update-

Here is another idea one of our club members came up with at our meeting tonight. Maybe it is Reno-Sparks High School? I've check the web but couldn't find a high school name that now, but maybe it was named that in the past. The pick and shovel would certainly make sense if this was the case! I'll let you know what I find out.....

Upvote 0
Re: I need your help in identifying a class ring! -SOLVED!-

The school has been identified (Rock Springs High School) now the owner of the ring is the next challenge!
;D

Upvote 0

A quick search of their old yearbooks should provide quick results (with the graduation date and students initials that you mentioned were on it). Can't wait to hear the update.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the Rock Springs class ring lost and found page. I've posted the information about the ring now I'm waiting to hear from the school and also from the lost ring page. Hopefully the ring will be reunited with the owner!

Upvote 0
I found the owner today! It took a little over a year but I was successful (sort of). Unfortunately the owner passed away a while ago but I was able to locate his sister. The ring will at least be able to be returned to family after almost fifty years!

What a good feeling!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back