I need help identifying civil war relic

Oct 2, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found about 2 dozen of these in a Civil War Camp in Northwest Arkansas a few months ago. The Camp was occupied by the Army of the Frontier. The Relic is made of Brass and is about 1" tall and 3/4" inside diameter. I sent a picture to a long time Tennessee Dealer and Relic Hunter and he told me he had never seen one and it was likely Post War. I thought he was probably right until I found another one a couple of days ago in another Camp occupied by the Army of the Frontier two months later and 80 miles away in Southwest Missouri. I think it might go on a Tent Pole to keep the end from splitting but that is just a guess. If you have any ideas please let me know. PA160002.JPG

I found one of those a few years back but never ID mine either. I did keep it just in case

Upvote 0
According to this, they were used to reinforce the top of tent poles.IMG_20161016_201204638.jpg

HH RN

Upvote 0
Do they mean the fork seal bushings? When I first found mine I thought it was a sleeve to a piston but mine didn't have any markings and wasn't tapered at one in like a sleeve.

Upvote 0
It appears to be a bushing. The old starters, generators and many other things would have brass/bronze bushings. The hole would line up with an oil port. Have changed many of these things and still use them on antique hit&miss engines.

Upvote 0
I also have some of those, they even have the same groove in the inside.

Upvote 0
Wow - I just spent a week installing these. Rocker arm bushings for a Ford Y-block engine. Same dimensions, rounded edge, internal groove and oil hole. Coincidence??
JHinPA.

Upvote 0
It appears to be a bushing. The old starters, generators and many other things would have brass/bronze bushings. The hole would line up with an oil port. Have changed many of these things and still use them on antique hit&miss engines.

Mine was iron not brass so it still may be a bushing of some sort which I don't see why they would use iron as a bushing. In pretty much all automotive stuff I've redone it's always been something other than iron and mine had two holes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back