I need help getting any information on this milk bottle called Dodds Alderney dairy

Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Does it have any other numbers or information on it? Sometimes those can help date it.

Also, it's possible it could be a cream bottle instead of a milk bottle.

Upvote 0
I've got a bottle similar to that but from a different dairy.

Into the 1960's school lunch milk came in returnable bottles like this, most came from and were marked with the local dairy's name. Those were the days when milk was delivered to the door, and the Helms Bakery truck drove through the neighbourhood, and the garbage cans were metal.

Upvote 0
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Dodd’s Dairy was incorporated in 1904 and owned by the brothers William, John and David Dodds. Around 1909, they purchased a former butcher shop and barn at 159 York Street, Buffalo, NY and ultimately became the largest dairy operation in the state outside New York City. They operated there for many decades and then later at 209 Walden Avenue. There is mention of them until at least 1951.

I would think the bottle is from the 1920s or 1930s. By the 1940s they were one of many dairy companies using the ‘Sealtest System of Laboratory Protection’ and their bottles were then marked as such on the back. ‘Sealtest’ was a quality control system for dairy housekeeping and hygiene taught to local staff by lecture and instruction, supervised by inspectors with laboratory training. The system itself dates from 1937 although ‘Sealtest’ (in script lettering) wasn’t trademark registered until 1952.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back