I must be the only one who collects these things

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, hit the local park "KD" other than finding the ordinary clad mess, 1948 nick, and a thingy (see what is it). I found this beauty, an "American Metallic Co. No. 16 High Base". No to most of you, your probably saying its junk, but there are collectors who like this stuff (me included). While I couldn't find an exact date on it, it ranges from 1890-1911.
UMC Headstamps
no16.jpg

Upvote 8
16 gauge is still a very popular bore in trap&skeet and sporting clays. I've heard of guys making rings out of old shotgun brass in much the same manner that coin rings are made. I don't save shotgun brass but I've kept a bunch of .44-40 rimfire Henry casings that I found in a field near me. I also saved a .56 (maybe .54?) Spencer casing that I found in the same field...just because ut's the BIGGEST rimfire casing that I've ever seen!

I know they exist, just that I have never shot one nor seen one. That is a one big rimfire..^5

I can narrow it down a little bit more for you but not much. Here's an excerpt from another site:
MMMUMC was probably the first U.S. company to produce and market all-brass shotshells in about 1868. In 1873, UMC acquired the patent rights to the C.D. Leet Company's paper shotshells and began manufacturing primed but unloaded paper shotshells in 10- and 12-gauge loads. Unloaded eight-, 14-, 16- and 20-gauge shells were added to the line in 1880, and four-gauge in 1883. UMC was probably the first American firm to manufacture paper shotshells in quantity. Some loaded shotshells might have been produced during this period but not on a commercial scale. UMC marketed its first factory-loaded Club shotshells in 1888. From 1891 through 1905, UMC added other lines of shotshells including New Club, Nitro, Smokeless, Lightning, Black-Club, Arrow, Nitro Club, Monarch, Majestic, Acme, Challenge, Expert, High Base, Magic and Primrose Club. Many lines of shotshells were sold both loaded and unloaded.
Here's a link to the site itself if you want to read some more.
Shotgunworld.com ? View topic - The History and Art of Shotshells

Awesome! Thats exactly what I was looking for..

I've found some of them and also shot some 16's seen the 10 and my friend has one but never seen a 8 that's a real man's gun wouldn't want to have him mad at me lol

Hate to correct, but, UMCCo is Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Not as you mentioned. Your not the only cartridge out here. Been collecting for 60 Years. Been in Co. for nine years and detecting for two. I'm not lying I've found well over 1000 shell casings within a mile of my house. Make me wonder why so many.

Last edited:
Hate to correct, but, UMCCo is Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Not as you mentioned. Your not the only cartridge out here. Been collecting for 60 Years. Been in Co. for nine years and detecting for two. I'm not lying I've found well over 1000 shell casings within a mile of my house. Make me wonder why so many.

Oops..I noticed that myself. Thank you for the heads up Pistol Pete. If I have any questions on a cartridge may I refer to you?

I have found some in Florida and not being old I threw them away.....but that changed here in Wyoming when I found some over 100 years old and I kept them. They go to my oldest son who is a big time hunter. I think I will put them in a shadow box along with some old fishing lures.

Thanks for the tip on the old shotgun brass.

Big game hunters used to use a 4 gauge double barrel to take down elephants. If I remember correctly the shells were brass and I remember reading an article in Field in Stream when I was a kid, where it talked about something like the shells were $100 a piece. I am not sure if that is today's money or way back when.

sweet 16 -- easier on the shoulder than a 12 --more punch than a 20 --used a lot in the older days by older wise shooters

I did not know there was a market for these. I have 6 or 8 unfired paper shotgun shells. Maybe I should look into it. Thanks for the info.

I have a couple like this and do collect all bullet shells. To me, anything that's brass and has letters on it gets my heart pumpin'.

Thanks for the tip on the old shotgun brass.

Big game hunters used to use a 4 gauge double barrel to take down elephants. If I remember correctly the shells were brass and I remember reading an article in Field in Stream when I was a kid, where it talked about something like the shells were $100 a piece. I am not sure if that is today's money or way back when.

Couldn't find a video on an 8, but I did find one on a 4 gauge..

I just found one yesterday. It has the star stamp around the primer. I posted a thread on here. It has some sort of paper inside it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back