I know its a spur but??

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Is This, could it be a union solider spur?? I found it in a alley (they been moving alot of dirt around) In Calvert Texas,(Calvert was heavly occupied after the war and they were not friendly to the yanks) I saw a picture of one Identical in the American Digger Magazine today, and was pretty suprised, any help would be appreciated. Thanks ya'll

Attachments

• 000_1076.JPG
    000_1076.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 346
Spanish American :) thats way to old for this area but woudent that be cool.

Upvote 0
Oh!! :-[ Duh I shoulda known that. Guess I was a thinking about the Texas revolution

Upvote 0
Can you tell how much clearance there was between the rowel and the spur stem?

Is there any of the rowel left in there?

The rowel is the round wheel that was used on the horse.

They just look like old cheap spurs to me. Not old as in TREASURE but old as in...I just broke my spurs on that mustang and it still can't be tamed.

Which is mean but hey, we won't go there.

LOL

Upvote 0
The more I look I think the rowel pin will give you your date. Gypsy's suggestion about Ebay is good. Take a look at the ones offered there. There'a s craftsmanship to many historical spurs. Your's has that utilitarian, every day look.

Maybe I'm wrong. But they just look like many I've seen in use today. The very square edges of the bit strap holes might be your clue too.

Track down a known pair from that era and see what the strap holes look like.

Upvote 0
It has obviously been in the ground a long time. Long enough for the rowl to rust away so it must be fairly old? I would expect a military spur to be pretty utilitarian (I like that word). If a Yankee spur it would probably be marked with U.S somewhere, but a Confederate spur is apt to be brought from home and really utilitarian (I really like that word)! Just a hunch on my part as I am certainly no spur expert. M ??? nty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back