I keep finding these but don't know what they are!??

drewdiggs

Aug 27, 2018
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 4 1/2 in. diameter ...Flat stainless steel.? I think!?

WP_20181007_15_01_09_Pro_LI.jpg

Looks similar to fan blades safety guard

Upvote 0
Might be a shim if its thin materiel. Plus it has a double D hole which could indicate where the shaft goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
reminds me of a film reel

Upvote 0
I must've found five or six of these and always at different sites.? It's thin but not too thin,..and it's pretty durable and strong. It bothers me that,I keep finding them and not knowing what they are..usually I find them in a compacted state, but They can be bent back into true form without breaking.

Upvote 0
Looks like something from an air filter or oil filter from heavy equipment.

Upvote 0
since they are found randomly,, is it possible they are used in the spooling of some type of wire ??? like tv cable or phone cable , etc

Upvote 0
It's very random, in yards, in the woods everywhere it seems. They just keep popping up. It may be off of some type of a filter or a car part...I'd just love to be able to pinpoint it though. I think it's weird that I've never seen them before until I started detecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do appreciate everyone's ideas and thoughts on this. I'm not sure why I'm letting this part bug me so much but it is. I guess it's just my curiosity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Part of a seed spreader?

Upvote 0
I have no ideal. Notice the hole in the center, flat on opposite sides. That would keep it from turning on a matching shaft/peg/pole.

Upvote 0
I found 2 more just today/It's my first time finding the bigger one! :o
Capture001 (2).png

Upvote 0
Maybe phone wire,..it would have to be something pretty thin in diameter.

Upvote 0
I’ve seen that and for the life of me I can’t remember where. Let me think about this for a bit

Upvote 0
Might be a shim if its thin materiel. Plus it has a double D hole which could indicate where the shaft goes.

Not only that, but if you look closely, there's a small offset cutout on only one "D", so that even the particular D hole has to be in a specific orientation.
You might not be able to take the part off, turn it around on it's x-axis, and still get it back on the shaft. (?)
Of course, the part sure looks symmetrical, so why would that even matter?!

Upvote 0
I’ve seen that and for the life of me I can’t remember where. Let me think about this for a bit

Was thinking possible balance wheel but I’ll show the photo arounfpd in my shop tomorrow

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back