I found a 1909-s VDB penny while detectind in my front yard.

poppinsilver

Greenie
May 2, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer, Lesche Mini Sampson
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a very rare penny while metal detecting in my front yard yesterday. The house was built in 1901. Unfortunately the penny is in absolutely horrible condition. Still a pretty nice find.

Ebay link if anybody wants it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201913747260?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

penny1.jpgPENNY1234.jpgPENNY123456.jpgSoCBNjs.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34
Make no mistake, we are not hesitant to believe it.

I do think there is a rule for no banners on a first time post.

Really, as a new member, you can't believe the numbers of first time posters, and older posters being banned for illegitimate finds. That happens, everybody wants to be somebody.

I salute your find and completely believe it is legit. Maybe you should have held off posting that - to be more accepted here. We're not buttholes, but we've seen too many questionable finds to to believe everything we see anymore.

No offense at all intended, period. We'd love to see you posting here. It inspires us to get out digging more often. Sometimes we find things which delight us. You've certainly come out the gate with something we all dream of.

Well i've been detecting for about 3 years now. When i realized the rarity of the penny, i decided to create an account to share my discovery. I should have held off on posting it to be more accepted here?! what the hell are you talking about?

You're taking this the wrong way. Like I said, I believe the heck out of you and your find.

Welcome and HOLY CRAP!!! Congrats and dig your whole yard up, I know I would. Welcome to the world of obsession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.... I should have held off on posting it to be more accepted here?! what the hell are you talking about?

Don't take that wrong. I think what they are referring to, is that to get "banner" , it has to be members who've got some posts under their belt. That's not singling you or anyone out. Just a protocol so that the highly coveted "banner" system is to persons who are regular participants in the discussion boards. Not someone who just comes on and posts a single time ever. Granted you've since posted more participation now! :) So now you're an old-timer ! ha

That is one of the holy grail coin-collector finds . Up there with 16d merc, various CC scarce dates, etc... Even in the shape of yours, might still fetch some dollars to someone looking for a filler. In my 40+ yrs. of this in CA, I've only ever found a single 1909s VDB. And mine was much worse than yours. Doh!

Welcome to the forum.

Don't take that wrong. I think what they are referring to, is that to get "banner" , it has to be members who've got some posts under their belt. That's not singling you or anyone out. Just a protocol so that the highly coveted "banner" system is to persons who are regular participants in the discussion boards. Not someone who just comes on and posts a single time ever. Granted you've since posted more participation now! :) So now you're an old-timer ! ha

That is one of the holy grail coin-collector finds . Up there with 16d merc, various CC scarce dates, etc... Even in the shape of yours, might still fetch some dollars to someone looking for a filler. In my 40+ yrs. of this in CA, I've only ever found a single 1909s VDB. And mine was much worse than yours. Doh!

Welcome to the forum.

I'd like to find things as good as you here in good ol' Cali. How many gold coins do you have again?

Welcome and HOLY CRAP!!! Congrats and dig your whole yard up, I know I would. Welcome to the world of obsession.

I'm addicted. I've spent hours on my yard since i found it.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for filling me in on the banner system. That makes sense now. I'm still in denial that i found such a rare coin. I can't even comprehend it.

poppinsilver, congrats on your find. Take it to a pro with coins to verify it and if there's any possibility of enhancing it due to the poor shape from it being buried. it is indeed a rare coin and you must be careful not to hurt it more than it is.

poppinsilver, congrats on your find. Take it to a pro with coins to verify it and if there's any possibility of enhancing it due to the poor shape from it being buried. it is indeed a rare coin and you must be careful not to hurt it more than it is.

Thank you. I will take it to a professional tomorrow.

Congrats on your find and welcome to our little circus.

The bad part is that the coin has set a very high mark. Good luck beating that one.

However, I wish you the very best of luck sir.

Congrats on your find and welcome to our little circus.

The bad part is that the coin has set a very high mark. Good luck beating that one.

However, I wish you the very best of luck sir.

I know. I feel like it's going to bard hard to top this one. Still gonna try though.

Hey poppin-silver, I see you got it on ebay now. Good luck ! Hope it fetches a pretty-penny (no pun intended :))

How the hell did you find 15 gold coins?

By not being a wuss in where/when you hunt :) Seriously now: Stage stops, old town urban demolition sites, in the middle of howling beach storm erosion, old emigrant route stopping spots, an old resort , places where 1850/60s military were stationed, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back