1.9 MB · Views: 96
  • Unknown 3.JPG
    Unknown 3.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
  • Unknown 4.JPG
    Unknown 4.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
Upvote 11
humm likely a tyoe of tree spike hammered ionto it the hole in it is for a chain

likely a tree spike to hammer into tree for dragging it out with...
I don't know what it is but I suspect it was used in the harvesting of trees. ca.1930's

Nice find. That's unique. :occasion14:

For large logs to roll them over to be cut in half, whole is for handle for 1-2 guys to try and roll it over to be sawed through. Looks like it could anyway, be for that HAPPY HUNTING

You guys are thinking of a log Peavey or a Cant tool. I don't think that is either. Could be some kind of log dog used in timber framing...maybe.

interesting cool relic what ever it is or isnt

Main question is...did you haul that thang very far!? Looks quite heavy! While I do agree it is for logging, I couldn't put an exact I'D on it, though I think a couple of the others have nailed it. That would look great with some restoration! Ddf.

The offset design looks like it was made to accommodate a variety of sizes. I'm only familiar with logging equipment from the mid Atlantic but a cant or peavey would have bits that pointed inward. Same with a log dog. The harder you pull the tighter it sets. ?

For large logs to roll them over to be cut in half, whole is for handle for 1-2 guys to try and roll it over to be sawed through. Looks like it could anyway, be for that HAPPY HUNTING

A cant hook works well on logs up to about 24" in diameter, so your theory is plausible I guess on larger ones if the piece is mated with an iron rod pointed on one end, slipped though the hole and driven into the log. The point on either end of the piece used would depend on the size of the log and would be pushed into the log as opposed to the hook part of a cant hook being pulled. Your find would be one part of a two piece tool, as opposed to a cant hook being an all-in-one tool. Removal would be easily achieved by rocking the assembly back and forth with the grain. Can't tell from the pics, but I would expect some bradding on either end of the tool from having been driven into the log. With all my blather, it may be altogether something else! Cool find, whatever it is!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back