Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a "nugget" for lack of a better description. It is shiney silver in color on the inside with black tarnish on the outside, about 1 1/2" in diameter, non-ferous (not magnetic) and heavier than iron or steel. Is softer than steel but not maleable like gold. I was told that a foundary had dumped some slag in the area years ago. I thought maybe it was silver or nikel but no way to tell that I know of. Is there some kind of test kit to identify different metals or what? jimmileo

Kellyco had a test kit one time that I looked at to test gold, silver, and diamonds, not real sure of the price and I never did get it. There are probably many different home remedy type tests as well, I'll ask around and see what I can come up with and let you know if anyone has an easy way to test.

Dudes

Upvote 0
Without actually seeing the "nugget", my guess would be that it is probably silver or a silver alloy. The black tarnish is likely silver oxide. If it were lead, it would be soft with a whiteish/ grey patina. If it were platinum, it would not be tarnished at all, and if it was aluminum you could probably tell by the weight. (Aluminum oxide is white and powdery).
These are some of the more common types of white metals you may find.
If the nugget is large enough, put a rubberband around it and leave if for a while (a few months). The sulphur in the rubberband will react with the silver creating a black deposit of silver sulphide. This would of course be a destructive test method that would leave a permanent black deposit on the nugget.

Upvote 0
It already has black tarnish on the outside but becomes shiney when buffed with silver polish. The tarnish was quite thick at first but with some various means of buffing and polishing has become shiney underneath. It's much too heavy for aluminum and much too hard for lead, only slightly softer than iron but is nonmagnetic. I don't know what nickel looks like but since it came from a foundary that is a possibility. Perhaps it was rescued from a plating business? I just plan to keep it as a memento to my dig and put it with my other "treasures". JIM

Upvote 0
If the tarnish is black, I would have to say that it is silver. Silver oxide is black. Silver is also softer than nickel, but harder than lead. Nickel will oxidize to produce a greenish color.

Upvote 0
It would be interesting to know the history of the site. What exactly was the company processing? or what were it's recycling efforts for?. Silver? I agree with the above folks about it probably being silver without knowing the history of the site.

You never know sometimes what you will find when you least expect it. Many years ago while searching around an old mill(rock crushing site) I located a small piece of a heavy silver looking material. I turned out to be amalgam- a mixture of mercury and gold. In the old days they used mercury freely to capture the gold- they didn't know about the severe health problems with mercury. Believe me with visions of finding some big hunks to pay off my mortgage I went back several times looking for the big payday. However, I did not find any more so just another "close but no cigar" effort.

If you really want to know what it is- have some of it assayed- cost $12-$20.

George

Upvote 0
The foundary dates back to the turn of the century and processed all kinds of metals except iron and steel. It sat next to a steel mill and when the mill melted down scrap the smelter took the dregs and rendered the other metals. What was left was piled up behind the building and was used for fill in roads and building projects. The foundary went out of business in the 1970's and it was found that there was some toxic chemicals from the metal processing that was left when the foundary shut down. It was a superfund site and was cleaned up by the feds about 10 years ago and now a K-Mart Superstore sits on top of the old site. Where I foiund the metal was in a park next to a tennis court. Some of the foundary waste was used as landfill to level the grouind for the tennis court. Whether there is any more there I haven't a clue but I doubt it. More of a freak halppening than anything else. Can you imagine what the odds are? Thanks for the help. JIM

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back