Hydraulic mining

Wow- im not sure i would call mining in the u.s. raping the earth,,,i think we are useing what is availabel to us and are continually trying to do a better, cleaner, more efficiant job of it here in the u.s....... if you want to see raping the earth go to yooutube and wacth " the cost of gold in africa" and " the cost of gold in south america" now those methods are bad for the enviroment and people for a long long time.
This actually highlights some of my pro dredging arguments.....we can dredge here and actually create jobs, weath, and clean heavy metals and trash from the enviroment,,,,or we can get the gold in our computers and smart phones from china..and in those vids you can see how china gets gold...everyone who has a computer-phone is contributing to mass enviromentel degradation abroad,,,especially people who block mining here.

Wow- im not sure i would call mining in the u.s. raping the earth,,,i think we are useing what is availabel to us and are continually trying to do a better, cleaner, more efficiant job of it here in the u.s....... if you want to see raping the earth go to yooutube and wacth " the cost of gold in africa" and " the cost of gold in south america" now those methods are bad for the enviroment and people for a long long time.
This actually highlights some of my pro dredging arguments.....we can dredge here and actually create jobs, weath, and clean heavy metals and trash from the enviroment,,,,or we can get the gold in our computers and smart phones from china..and in those vids you can see how china gets gold...everyone who has a computer-phone is contributing to mass enviromentel degradation abroad,,,especially people who block mining here.
I concur and know this, rape the Earth was meant as a sarcastic comment. Unfortunately many look at open pit mines, tailing piles, mine dumps and old hydraulic mines and think just that. They think this "don't mess up my landscape". Several new mines here in Arizona are on hold and have been for several years largely for this reason. Many jobs are at stake as is an overall boost to our economy. I am in no way anti mining that having earned my and many in my family a living for many dozens of years. My feelings are the same for timbering, oil, gas, coal production and for all other natural resources. Modern technology has eliminated most of the real or perceived environmental hazards.

Last edited:
your dredge sounds awesome! Got any pics of the propane modification?

your dredge sounds awesome! Got any pics of the propane modification?

Thanks..it was easier then i thought.. i just opened up a 3/8 " hole on the air filter and installed a male connector for the gas hoses coming from the Propane tank. i also placed a gas valve to control the gas and would also accelerate the engine through the same valve. when starting up the engine is best to open the gas as low as possible for quick startup.

i also have a fiberglass tank that weights less then the metal ones and you could see how many gallons of gas you have.

ill try post a picture soon..

The irreparable destructive interpretation of what historical resource harvesting has left behind has always bugged me. It boils down to reclamation or lack there of and a skewed presentation of perspective. I'll give you an example from this past week. I was up in Sierra county in Northern California, some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet, I was out boonie romping at an old goldrush town sight by the name of Brandy City. The town actually had two separate runs once in the late 1800's and again in the 1930's. Near the townsite are the remains of the hydraulic mining operation that supported the town- the usual visuals abound- scarred treeless mountainside, barren ground, and a few leftover settling ponds. The Forest Service has highlighted and preserved the "destruction" left from hydraulic mining ops. There are informative signs, a small approved campsite in the midst of the barren ground, and a trail that encompasses the site with board walks thru the swamp and over a settling pond, providing the hiker/biker with a real up close look at the destruction left by legacy mining. The site is in a beautifull setting surrounded by huge Douglas Fir, California Cedar, and Ponderosa Pines. What you don't realize if you hadn't seen the historical pictures off the town from when it was a thriving community of close to a thousand folks is; the trees and surrounding fauna were not there back then, the pictures show a town void of trees- not a one, yet here you are surrounded by what has to be "old growth" timber that had to of been here back in the day right? WRONG, and yet no mention of mother earth power to reclaim in the sign denoting the once center of town. In fact if you weren't looking you'd never know humans had lived and worked there other then the pit and a hidden cemetary. Why did they level, burn, and bury the remains of the townsite yet highlight the destruction of the "evil traits" of legacy mining. The reality is a D8, an excavator, a little blasting and some hydro seeding you'd never know the hydraulic mining had been there either. Personally I'm glad they preserved the pit from a history buffs perspective, too bad they didn't leave the townsite alone as well. Hope someday we start teaching practicality and common sense use again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back