JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Framingham MA hunting in local woods. Apparently these woods have been used for hunting for a long long time.. I can see why when I have seen flocks of huge turkeys and large deer. Deer droppings are all over the place in these woods. I have found a few old coins but mostly finding shells and lead some of which looks to be over 100 years old. This is the collection from the past week of on and off again hunting..

IMG_4969.JPG

Upvote 2
Interesting to see how munitions have evolved and I really like the bullet in the wood. Thats something you could frame :P Nice finds!

U gotta get thru the trash before u find something good!! Least you know you are on virgin MDing ground!

I have found that more than once I turn up the sensitivity and rescan the hole after pulling an old 12 gauge shell I find a IH under or near where the shell was. Don't exactly know why but it has happened at least 4 times. Maybe getting excited and plop a penny out reloading the old break back.

I had the that happen with a shotgun shell yesterday. Pulled out a 1904 V nickel out of the same hole as a shotgun shell. That is why I always check my holes again when I pull out an object. You never know what you might find. Interestingly, The shotgun shells and nickels read very close to each other on my AT Pro.

Hunting was the only way people survived 100-150 years ago when our country was being founded in that area.......you are digging up history.....congrats and keep going

Hunting was the only way people survived 100-150 years ago when our country was being founded in that area.......you are digging up history.....congrats and keep going

oldsalty19.. I could not agree more. I am really enjoying finding all of these shells and bullets. It tells a story which I can piece together as I go around the woods. I have found places where they camped, where they worked on their equipment by finding horseshoes, an ax head and other assorted broken odd pieces of metal. I also came across a spot where they cut granite by hand. After finding many small chisels and bent pieces of rod I was able to match them up with holes in the granite which were used to split the granite with a process called "feathers and wedges". The granite spiting area is also likely 100 years old. I have had a blast putting together the pieces of history.

To 'The Recovery Agents', maybe the hunter used a penny to help pry the shell from the gun? I don't know, just a thought. Cool to see all those together like that, JRMan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back