Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
No.... My pic didn't show up.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
It has all the appearances of a lead bar! I see you that the Monongahela River is close by you , so I would think that someone who fished or fishes the river, had the piece to make fishing weights.

Frank

Upvote 0
Possibly! I found it in a a wooded area about 6 inches deep. The area was established in the 1800s and was a farm. Closest buildings are over 700 feet away.

Upvote 0
I found a piece of silver like that. both ends were the same as that one. One was slightly different. It was black and not as thick. Is it soft like lead? Being triangle make me think of something else. Have you cleaned it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I just washed the dirt off. Still has some clay stuck to it.

Upvote 0
Not really.

Upvote 0
Can you bend it easy? Scratch it with your fingernail?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Lead for molding bullets?

Upvote 0
Have you got a small like 1/16th inch drill? drill the end take the shavings and either melt or acid test (for silver) before you go all overboard try googling cast iron plumbing. They used to use bars exactly like that to make joints with cast iron sanitary pipes. First they'd pack oakum around the fitting, then melt lead and pour or flow lead over that. The bar like yours could be used with a blow torch, like for replacing a section. The flatter bars & ingots were used more with a pot. If you found it up away from the bank a ways you might want to start looking for foundations. This could be the tip of the iceberg for a good search ground!!

Upvote 0
The arrow is where I found it. To the left of the star is a creek and you can see the farm house at the top of the picture. There was a spring or steam near this area on an 1862 map. IMG_20170302_004135615.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back