dadofpetie

Mar 31, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All, this is my first post on here. I am a newbie at detecting and found what I think is a plow tooth. Could anyone give me a clue as to the possible age range of this? All I know about it is I found it on our property in southern Va. It was about 3-4" deep. We just had a road dozed in and this was found near a couple of 1920s shotgun shells. I know it has been at least 40 yrs since the land has been worked. Research shows the land has been farmed since at least 1818. Anybody recognize this little beauty? Size is 9.5" tip to long point and 6.5" tip to short point. Thank you for any help. Jim Plow B.jpgPlow A.jpg

Unless you cleaned it real well it doesn't appear to have been buried for a long period of time. Almost looks like a tooth or part from a scraper from the dozer it's self if you just had work done. When I worked construction they would lose teeth off machines from time to time. Doesn't look like any I have seen though. ???

Upvote 0
it really is clean.. can you add some pictures with something for size comparison? I know you said the size but a picture is worth much more than a 1,000 words.

Upvote 0
I see rust in the hole, so I'm guessing it's been scrubbed clean.

Google "horse drawn cultivator". Especially "images".

You may find that similar points are still being used today.

Upvote 0
Yes I agree now after looking around, it is not a modern tooth from some heavy equipment. For what its worth here is a tooth from a modern piece of heavy equipment. 011.JPG

Upvote 0
Looks like a plow share that connects to a mouldboard of a horse drawn plow,not sure of date and if this is for a plow say late 1800s.Just a guess!!

Upvote 0
I found a very similar plow blade under a very old cedar tree... All I know is it's an old plow blade... Mine was also found in southern VA... Both the plow blade on the right and the 1941 wheat penny were found nearby. Mine was also buried at least 4" deep.

plow_blades_and_more.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys! Here is the photo of the as found tooth shown with two 12ga shotgun shells found nearby. The tooth was cleaned using electrolysis in 5 gal. bucket for approx. 7 hrs. and then wire brushed (barely needed it) heated and oil treated. It should never rust again!as found blade.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Electrolysis never worked that well for me!

You will find more of these in your detecting future, of different shapes and sizes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back