turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

I had a chance to go out relic hunting for a while today and I found this knife. It was found in an area that is a suspected home site out in the middle of the woods. There is known railroad activity near the site and logging activity at the site from the 1880's-1890's. It also has known farming/ranching activity from the 1930's-PRESENT with evidence of hunting from the 1880's-PRESENT. I found two horseshoes in the same area today. One of the horse shoes is a HUGE draft horse shoe (machine made) and the other is a smaller hand forged horseshoe. The images make the blade look better than it actually is. There is some deep pitting in the metal. I believe that the handle is bone but I don't know how to test it to find out for sure. Any help is appreciated. I just realized that I didn't put anything in for size reference. The blade is 5" long and the handle 3.75" long. The blade is right at an inch "wide" and is 0.10 inches thick.

Doug

bowie001.jpg

bowie002.jpg

bowie003.jpg

bowie004.jpg

Re: How old is this hunting knife that I found today?

I had one just like it in the mid 1940's. They sold for about a buck with an imitation leather sheath. Good knife though it was still around here a year or two ago.

Upvote 0

Thanks Silverswede. I also found this image online just a couple of minutes ago.

http://www.icollector.com/images/1196/14972/14972_0006_1_lg.jpg

The middle knife is supposed to be a Case XX. The handle is slightly different but it is sure close. A case would be nice but I am guessing that silverswede is right. I am going to have to try to clean the blade up a bit and see if there are any markings on it.

Doug

Upvote 0

$3.00 knife from the early 1970's. Came with a Naugahyde sheath that was near-nuff cardboard.

I gave mine to my wife to dig up flower bulbs. Still in use today. ;-)

Attachments

• HPIM1726.JPG
    HPIM1726.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 0

Thanks Charlie! With your info and silverswede's info, I am going to green check this knife as solved as not too old ;D

Thanks again,
Doug

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back