How old is this cistern?

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN6090.JPGDSCN6091.JPGDSCN6092.JPGDSCN6093.JPG

1920's would be my guess. W had one on the farm from that time frame that looked just like it.

Upvote 0
I don't think so it is full of water plus the pipe on the wall that the water goes through to store it

Upvote 0
I'm going to drain it out maybe there could be some bottles or coins hopefully

Upvote 0
To my understanding a well fills up by underground seep water, this is a cistern as verified by the pipe leading into it probably from a roof gutter downspout. A cistern pump would have set over the squareish hole, the kind with a crank handle that tooh a chain with rubber dippers attached to it down through the water and back up pouring water out the spout.

I would say the well would date anywhere from 1900 to '40s, though in the 1970's we lived in a house built 1952 with one of these and a shallow well pump on the basement that brought water out of the cistern and went through indoor plumbing.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
What is the pipe made of? I see one of copper, but is the large one plastic? It looks like grey plastic pipe.

The numbers embedded, what are they made of...looks like plastic, but hard to tell.

Where does the large one go, and where does the copper on go? If the copper is the feed, it would be to a pump, so appears more modern, as does the press fit/soldiered connection.

If the large one is plastic, you are looking at modern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back