Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is Grampa's gun?

My Uncle would like to know how old Grampa's gun is. And the powder horn was his too and still has gunpowder in it. Can anybody give us a clue? IMG_0951.JPGIMG_0948.JPGIMG_0960.JPGIMG_0962.JPGIMG_0959.JPG

There should also be some proof marks which would help. It seems that Saxton was a Belgian made gun and they seem to have copied many other types/styles. There is a few out there for sale but even on the gun boards there is much discussion as far as manufacture. They made 10,12,16 and 410 from what I have seen on auctions. The proof marks may be under the forearm.
Really hard to put a date on it Huntress for your Grand Pa but I agree 1840 ish would be close because in 1860 they were listed in the 3 volume set under breech loading shotguns. Not bore. Nice to see him holding it now put some Rem oil on that :tongue3:

( This is the second time on TNet that I have been called "Huntress". I will have to get to know that girl) :occasion14:

Upvote 0
I am sure it was, as our roots are in Saegertown, Meadeville, and Mosiertown. In fact Mosiertown was named after one of my relatives.
When my Grandfather came out here to South Dakota he wrote back to his brother "You can see a day and a half ahead of yourself" referring to being able to see to the horizon and figuring that it would take a day and a half to get that far.
And now I would like to know just how you could figure out my Pennsylvania roots?
I am super curious about this too! I am waiting for a reply! Very interesting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back