how old ?..button bullet shell.lock . horseshoe brass & steel buckles

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have bin digging in a old yard and park . how old is this stuff ? .... I found the button 4' from the 1876 dime ..but the dime was only 3" down ...the button was 8"down don't know if that will help or not ....the oldest coin I found next to the lock and the horseshoe was a 1900 dime ...???....but dont know how old this stuff is ...if any one can help...that would be awesome .... hope cannonballguy takes a look at this button :laughing7:

2013-07-21_02-25-38_48.jpg2013-07-21_02-25-44_720.jpg2013-07-21_02-26-01_74.jpg2013-07-21_02-26-09_998.jpgIMAGE00040.jpgIMAGE00045.jpgIMAGE00047.jpgIMAGE00048.jpgIMAGE00050.jpgIMAGE00053.jpgIMAGE00054.jpg

Your padlock is by Mallory Wheeler & Co. from New Haven CT. They were established circa 1834 and went out of business circa 1913 (bankrupt.)

Neat finds :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Your padlock is by Mallory Wheeler & Co. from New Haven CT. They were established circa 1834 and went out of business circa 1913 (bankrupt.)

Neat finds :)
Breezie

cool ! thank you very much :notworthy:

Upvote 0
Your button appears to be a match for button NA-114 in the button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert. There has been a lot of debate about that button among collectors, because (as Albert mentions) the the rope-border does not go through the loop atop the anchor... and that is different from every other variety of the 1852-to-1941 version of US Navy buttons. My personal opinion is that it is a civilian-usage Fashion button... as indicated by the (broken) cheap-quality thin unmarked back on yours, and the lack of any gold gilt on its front.

Upvote 0
Your button appears to be a match for button NA-114 in the button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert. There has been a lot of debate about that button among collectors, because (as Albert mentions) the the rope-border does not go through the loop atop the anchor... and that is different from every other variety of the 1852-to-1941 version of US Navy buttons. My personal opinion is that it is a civilian-usage Fashion button... as indicated by the (broken) cheap-quality thin unmarked back on yours, and the lack of any gold gilt on its front.

Thank you very much. I had my suspicions about the button when I ran it under the water and the back started to fall apart

Upvote 0
The horseshoe appears to be for a front foot, probably for a buggy horse, because it looks like the shoe might have been made to correct the way the horse was traveling. Horses that are driven on a buggy are required to trot a lot, and trotting magnifies faults in gait. The horse might have been interfering (the foot flinging in and hitting to opposite leg) and that straightened trailer on the heel of the on one side of the shoe and the heavier weight (wider web) on the opposite branch of the shoe makes me think the blacksmith was trying to straighten the animals foot out as it landed, so it would tend to break over the front of the toe on the next step. If the horses foot flings out opposite of interfering, that's called "paddling," but it doesn't cause any injuries to the horse, but it does look bad, and horses are shod to attempt to cure that also. We were driving down a hiway in Missouri, and an Amish fellow was driving his buggy on the side of the road, and his horse was paddling worse than any horse I've ever seen, but he was tooting right along at a high trot. So my guess on your shoe is interfering driving horse, buggy or cart.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back