How many dump truck loads does it take to fill the Rogue?

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably old but I was looking through some stuff and found the time-lapse photos of when they took out the Gold Ray Dam. Check out, July 28th, 2010 at noon (and those around it). Big picture of a dump truck dropping a full load right in the middle of the river. I understand the dam had to come out and I'm fine with it. I just dislike the fact that their okay with dumping tons of rock in to the river because it serves their purpose to get rid of the dam and when we dredge we're destroying the ecosystem as we know it.

EarthCam Construction Camera - Rogue River Restoration

No matter, it's still a cool link to check out and watch. Full youtube link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD4QHkN57FM#t=23

Seeing all that equipment in the riverbed, I wonder how much grease, diesel, hydraulic oil, and other contaminants were deposited in an effort to restore that fishery.

Isn't it wonderful? Destroy the preexisting infrastructure in the middle of a energy shortage and a drought. Silly fool I am as we don't need no stinkn' energy or water anymore sic sic sic,makes me want to vomit when I saw that insipid :censored: Destroy it all and send us back to the caves just as long as Jerry multi-trillions bullet train bs and massive pipes to drain the delta and kill it with salt water are funded all is well-yaaaaaaaaaaa NOT-John

I was reading up on it, there are like 4 groups claiming to be responsible for "returning the Rogue to it's natural beauty" and they vary from something called Water Watchers to the local government. All for different reasons, defunct hydro, maintenance cost, fisheries restoration, restoring rivers to natural flow, etc etc. All in all a pretty cool thing when you time-lapse it or look at the photo's although you wonder how much fuel and oil etc ended up on the ground. . I squirreled for like 15 minutes and ended up on a video of the Chinese building the 3 Rivers Dam on the Yangse River....

That was better then the Condit Dam removal as far as destruction goes. Everyone wants to claim responsibility but the fact is that once again the green influence caused another power supply to go down. With all of the dams gone, which is their goal, clean hydro power will be a thing of the past.

Not on the same subject but this reminds me of a story of envirowackos. A few years ago we were stopped on a mountain road by a group of protesters who were trying to stop construction of a telescope because they said it would "endanger" a small population of a red squirrel sub species. One of the protesters was wearing a red squirrel costume. She was also obviously in the latter stages of pregnancy. Oh - and she was also smoking a cigarette! Made me wonder who or what she cared for the most. By the way the telescope is in place, the squirrels still survive and I wonder how healthy her child is.

Last edited:
I want to know what happened to the rubble behind the dam. Had to have been full of gold.

The dam I want to be the first at when they destroy it is the Oroville dam. One of the richest gold areas in California. I worked with an engineer who was an inspector on that project. The stories he told about the gold in that area were/are amazing.

The dam I want to be the first at when they destroy it is the Oroville dam. One of the richest gold areas in California. I worked with an engineer who was an inspector on that project. The stories he told about the gold in that area were/are amazing.
Yea I second that. I have some old books with stories of Bidwell Bar and how rich it was. I think one of the best stories was in "Anybody's Gold" if I remember right but there have been many tales of Rich Bar and some great finds from before the dam went in.
https://sites.google.com/site/bidwellthetown/

I remember reading an article about people who made a killing (found lots of gold) when the river was first diverted for construction. As I recall the dam authorities ended up shutting down access but a lot of the gold was actually found by dam contractors or the employees enforcing the closure.

Last edited:
Seeing all that equipment in the riverbed, I wonder how much grease, diesel, hydraulic oil, and other contaminants were deposited in an effort to restore that fishery.

Obviously the miners fault. If it's not though the sierra club will surely send someone on their board of advisers on down to cook us up some SCIENCE on how it is the miners who are responsible for this atrocity..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back