how do you sell diamonds?

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Is there somebody that buys the real diamonds from your junk jewelry? If so how would you ever know if you get what they are worth. What about the teeny ones you get. Is it worth extracting them before scrapping the gold? I have a scale that weighs carats but beyond that it is all a mystery to me.

Thank-You!

Upvote 0
You will find that it is about a waste of your time to try to sell diamonds. It would be best to just have them remounted in a piece that was made for you. Jewelres won't give you zip for them, but will exchange yours for glass or a CZ if you let it out of your sight.

If you take the time to extract the very small diamonds before you scrap the gold it would help make a nice ring. It's hard enough to get a good price for scrap gold let alone for a stone.

I sent a $1900 appraised diamond ring to a company I found online that bought diamond rings and was offered $80.00 for it. :o When I asked for the ring back, I took it to a jeweler friend and he checked the diamond with his diamond checker and it was the same one as before. Heard that some exchange a CZ for the diamond but that's grand theft and I'd have their butt seeing I had a GMA appraisal. I later sold the ring to a co-worker for $600 and that paid for my Johnson 50 hp outboard. Got lucky on that one. ;D
My custom jeweler friend will buy scrap gold at market prices, he's honest. Try and find a custom jeweler or goldsmith and see what they pay for scrap gold. Maybe they know of a market for the diamonds. ;) Pawnshops are a waste of time too. :-X

Have the diamonds appraised and mapped. Sure the cost might not be effective for a small stone but you'll build a report with an appraiser and some day when that big stone does come along...you'll be a good customer and they'll be honest with ya.

Well assuming they were in the first place. lol

I have not had the fortune to find gold or diamonds yet, but I figured it was relatively easy to sell. So this post is quite interesting.

An elderly jeweler once told me that as far as he was concerned, diamonds were made for sellin' not buyin'. Unless the stone is a one of akind rock in size, cut, clarity and color, most jewelers will offer a good bit below wholesale if anything at all. They buy "guaranteed goods" from their suppliers at preset (by DeBeers) prices and it would shock most folks what they pay for stones and what the mark up is.

For example, I bought my lovely bride of 37 years stone for her engagement ring from a retired USAF Senior Master Sgt, that had lived with a family of diamond cutters in Antwerp during WWII. He remained good friends with the family and as late as 1980, they would send him stones to distribute to verious "houses" in the SouthEast. Henry could purchase any of the stones he wanted for "house" price. When I told him I was shopping for my wife's stone, he pulled out a 3 x 5 in file card box; flipped it open and showed me about 2 1/2 inches of diamonds! I picked out a .8 carat bluewhite stone that would have graded VVSI and paid 350 dollars for it. Had the stone set in a nice solitare setting and it appraised at, for insurance, at 3,100 1969 dollars!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back