How can you tell civil war horse shoes

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
How can you tell if you found a civil war horse shoe? Is it a certain type? something stamped on them?
I found one online someone sold and said it's a civil war officials horse's shoe. Mine is exactly like it, and even tho mine did come from a civil war area, I am not holding my breath that it is.

Scroll towards bottom to see the one sold.
http://www.ioffer.com/i/CIVIL-WAR-h...IVIL+WAR+horse+shoe-authentic+historical+item

Attached is mine.

Attachments

• horsepens.jpg
    horsepens.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 4,684
It seems like everything that is found now days is somehow tried to be linked to the Civil War. I wouldn't know a CW horseshoe from a RW horseshoe. But I guess there are some that claim they know the difference. I have found several horseshoes but never gave the CW a thought. Maybe someone on here knows? Monty

Upvote 0
Yep I agree with Monty It seems like everything is civil war and that about 90% of it comes from Gettysburg. :tongue3: I don't know of anyway to tell a civil war horse shoe.

Upvote 0
Yeah I am not claiming it is one, but it had CS or US on it, then I'd claim it was. Just wondering if there was a way to tell.

Upvote 0
I wasn't implying it wasn't. I just don't know, but if it can be identified someone on here will be able to do it. I have confidence. Monty

Upvote 0
Same here. Your's could well be. I don't know how to tell. I just meant a lot of the "civil war" stuff actually isn't civil war and a lot of it is said to have come from Gettysburg. I knew of one dealer who would buy stuff from diggers and the put it in cases marked that the stuff was dug at Manassas, Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, etc. When he actually had no idea where it was dug or even if all of it was civil war.

Upvote 0
I agree with Monty & VaYank plus location could be a key. There is no way to tell if the horseshoe was from the CW or not, but 'if' it were found in a CW battlefield or CW camp along with other CW relics, then your chances would be higher. There is a website with the history of horseshoes showing how they have changed over the years, but I can't find it at this time. Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I agree with Monty & VaYank plus location could be a key. There is no way to tell if the horseshoe was from the CW or not, but 'if' it were found in a CW battlefield or CW camp along with other CW relics, then your chances would be higher. Breezie
Yeah, I guess I shoulda said that.

Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Breezie said:
I agree with Monty & VaYank plus location could be a key. There is no way to tell if the horseshoe was from the CW or not, but 'if' it were found in a CW battlefield or CW camp along with other CW relics, then your chances would be higher. Breezie
Yeah, I guess I shoulda said that.

LOL . . .I gotcha back buddy. :laughing7: Breezie

Upvote 0
i am not sure but i seem to remember that an 1800's shoe did not have the numbs on the heel and only used 6 nails
the ends were tapperd
later shoes used 8 nails and they added the numbs (the knobs on the ends)
also the north did have a machine that turned out shoes the south did not

Upvote 0
just a thought, the metal of the shoe may be the key, at least to see if the shoe is Civil War or earlier.
The reason I state this, is that most horse shoes made after the Civil War ( or at least after 1875 ) will more and more likely be made of mild steel, while those before the war were likely of wrought iron. The Bessemer Converter, the tool that made mild steel economically possible was only invented in the 1850's in Europe and was not installed at The Carnegie steel mill in Braddock PA. until 1875. So if the shoe is of mild steel, it likely in my opinion would not be a Civil War shoe. However, Wrought iron was still made into the 1960's, but was just not as common as mild steel, so a shoe of Wrought Iron also could be modern.

Upvote 0
The union shoes were all shot up and worn from running from the southern boys and the confederate shoes will be in great shape. ::)

Upvote 0
littleneckhalfshell said:
just a thought, the metal of the shoe may be the key, at least to see if the shoe is Civil War or earlier.
The reason I state this, is that most horse shoes made after the Civil War ( or at least after 1875 ) will more and more likely be made of mild steel, while those before the war were likely of wrought iron. The Bessemer Converter, the tool that made mild steel economically possible was only invented in the 1850's in Europe and was not installed at The Carnegie steel mill in Braddock PA. until 1875. So if the shoe is of mild steel, it likely in my opinion would not be a Civil War shoe. However, Wrought iron was still made into the 1960's, but was just not as common as mild steel, so a shoe of Wrought Iron also could be modern.
In your opinion, how can you tell the difference between mild steel and wrought iron?

http://www.carolinarustica.com/wrought-iron.htm

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I agree with Monty & VaYank plus location could be a key. There is no way to tell if the horseshoe was from the CW or not, but 'if' it were found in a CW battlefield or CW camp along with other CW relics, then your chances would be higher. There is a website with the history of horseshoes showing how they have changed over the years, but I can't find it at this time. Breezie
now that would be quite interesting, if you find it then please link it here. I have to admit I have no space for these either. However, it would be useful to know the differences, I find Oxen shoes as well.

I'm guessing that the shoes changed very little from before the CW until sometime after. I don't think in a war situation that all the farrier's would work to a standard 'military' type template, mostly likely bang them up the way he/she had always done (plus they probably used the nearest Civvy Farrier if they were some distance from their own/camp). Thats my common sense thinkings about it.

Upvote 0
relichunters said:
Yeah I am not claiming it is one, but it had CS or US on it, then I'd claim it was. Just wondering if there was a way to tell.

Sounds like there isn't but on the plus side you could sell several rusty horse shoes that you state were found in a CW area & let the buyer decide :wink: :D

Upvote 0
The Battle of Rio Hill was a decent size battle, after awhile one side retreated over to the dam (where I was) and destroyed an old mill. There is a big big hill and found it on top of there by the old mill. So thought a horse and soldier may have rode to the top of the hill to overlook the area.

Upvote 0
I think that the shoes with the shanks were made for horses that were pulling either wagons, farm equipment or logging. I have found a lot of horse shoes and the riding shoes don't have shanks on them. Correct me if I'm wrong but you would think that the shoes with the shanks would put a lot of stress on a horse if it were made to run with them on. Just my guess. Nice find what ever the age.

Wolverine.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back