How about posting your settings on the Deus 2 That you use.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just been using the factory settings in either "fast" or "park", depending on where I am. I do tend to turn the X/Y display on instead of the horseshoe, and I've had to bump the sensitivity down sometimes if I'm too close to a building or something. But otherwise, the stock programs seem to work pretty well for me.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have one yet but these are the post I want to see. I'll def be getting one, just waiting like I did on the D1 to make sure it's all that and a bag of chips!! Good thread to start Gare!!!!!

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this as a reply on one of TNSS videos, but deleted to post here now instead. (Full name on YT)

Full disclosure, I recently got a D2, and set up a test garden previous to buying so I could test signals and settings. So it's only a month old test garden. There has been a lot of rain since, if that matters. I went over many programs and settings to see what worked best. Focused the most on Sensi FT, Fast, Deep HC, and Mono. No beach programs.

I'm primarily a coin shooter, so that's what I focused on. Coin depth and next to ferrous/non ferrous trash. V1.1. Low ground mineralization.

Deep HC gives the overall best response on silver coins buried in my yard. Hits 10" silver dime but jumpy(slams 8"), 6" silver dime buried touching square nail, and 6" silver dime touching foil. The dime buried with square nail only gives 1 way signal, but it's very clear tone and accurate vdi 1 way signal. Hits the dime with foil clearly but gives a lower reading, 85-87, which I believe is zinc range. Foil on its own reads ~50.

Settings: Discrim 7, notch 7-56, 63-80
Reactivity 1
Silencer 2
BC 2
Audio response 4
Audio filter 2

Mono 4khz also does well. It cleans up the response on the 10" dime, and seems to eliminate the foil next to the dime, with 90-91 VDI. But more jumpy inaccurate VDI on the dime next to square nail. Also great for EMI reduction.

I set mono 4khz for depth and use to double check deep/iffy targets.

Same disc
Reactivity 0
Silencer 0
Audio response 4
Audio filter 5

I tried to get Fast to outperform on the dime next to iron, and every other target, but Deep HC responded much better. Fast had an advantage on a single buried square nail when it came to falsing. Fast cleaned up the false.

I also like the sound of high square with either pitch or full tones.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Scraper GREAT POST THANKS 11

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And maybe a short explanation how they work and find ?
ESPECIALLY how and why they work; why you chose those particular values. That is my pet peeve with most Deus programs. They tell you what to change, but not why.

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always approach pre-determined settings cautiously because they were not set based on the specific environment you’ll be hunting. As I’ve learned years ago. Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s then up to you to pick the best seat. Dialing in your detector settings based on the specific environment that you’ll be hunting is critical for success.

Just the view from my foxhole….

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always approach pre-determined settings cautiously because they were not set based on the specific environment you’ll be hunting. As I’ve learned years ago. Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s then up to you to pick the best seat. Dialing in your detector settings based on the specific environment that you’ll be hunting is critical for success.

GREAT view Dan thank you :)

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gare, One other point I might add that I learned years ago…sometimes the hard way.
Before accepting pre-determined settings and applying them as the magic solution to buried treasure, you should make an effort to understand the role and effect each individual setting has on the system and what role it plays in that system. The more you understand what each setting does, the better armed you will be to make adjustments that actually improve the detectors overall capability and your chances of success.

Again, just one more view from my foxhole….

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonelDan i sure thank you for all your help :) You sir are a giant ASSET to TREASURENET !!!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Absolutely! When I first got my first Deus, 7 years ago, I gobbled up every custom program I could find. It didn't take me long to figure out that I didn't need them and didn't use them. Most of the changes are simply for the audio anyway. The important things are reactivity, sensitivity, and silencer, and all three of those are very much dependent on the site.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first bought the D1 I filled the menu with every custom program I could find. I eventually just started detecting using factory settings, but added customizations depending on each search location, sometimes making quite a few adjustments until I'm happy with what I'm hearing and digging.

I've continued this way after buying the D2. I've not added any custom programs to the D2.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first bought the D1 I filled the menu with every custom program I could find. I eventually just started detecting using factory settings, but added customizations depending on each search location, sometimes making quite a few adjustments until I'm happy with what I'm hearing and digging.

I've continued this way after buying the D2. I've not added any custom programs to the D2.
I wrote essentially the same thing above. However, I do want to point out what I think is one major difference between the D1 presets and the D2 presets.

Many of the D1 presets were apparently designed to mimic previous XP metal detectors rather than to showcase this machine's abilities. That looked like a marketing rather than an engineering or detectorist-based decision, so I didn't trust their presets very much.
They seem to have not done that for the D2, fortunately and instead focused on making the presets examples of using the various new features of the machine. I really don't care for that, either. I like the Fast preset, for example, but not Pitch mode for the sound. The only way around that is to create my own copy of Fast with my own preferences for audio. (many other of the presets are similar)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread