Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 43
I can’t really see the small “a”.
There appears to be a 5-point star between the words. Is it a 1-piece or 2-piece button? I can’t tell if it is just a design on the rear rim, or if they are pressed together.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Too many styles of Hortsmann buttons. Found this one. Very durable compared to a Scovill eagle button. Maybe a silver wash. Simply “Hortsmann PHIL” with maybe a small a after phil. Not Philadelphia , not co. Just Hortsmann and Phil with maybe a small a. Need a date please
If hte size is the same this could help in dating the button, or at least where to look in the Tice Dating Buttons.

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 9.07.21 AM.png

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure your button dates from 1893 to 1901. The one thing that is different with your button s the orientation of "PHIL". All the buttons I see have it running left to right whereas yours runs right to left.

Upvote 0
Fyrffytr1 said:
> I am pretty sure your button dates from 1893 to 1901.

I agree.

> The one thing that is different with your button s the orientation of "PHIL".
> All the buttons I see have it running left to right whereas yours runs right to left.

That's because this very unusual Horstmann backmark is on a cuff-size button. I've seen "that sort of thing" many times. On cuff buttons, it seems the lack of the usual amount of space on the button's back for writing the usual backmark caused the manufacturer to abbreviate or otherwise shorten the usual backmark.

Upvote 2
Fyrffytr1 said:
> I am pretty sure your button dates from 1893 to 1901.

I agree.

> The one thing that is different with your button s the orientation of "PHIL".
> All the buttons I see have it running left to right whereas yours runs right to left.

That's because this very unusual Horstmann backmark is on a cuff-size button. I've seen "that sort of thing" many times. On cuff buttons, it seems the lack of the usual amount of space on the button's back for writing the usual backmark caused the manufacturer to abbreviate or otherwise shorten the usual backmark.
Ok. We will go with 1893 to 1901. It’s really a pretty button, almost silverish

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back