✅ SOLVED Horstmann Philada Button ID Help Needed

OpheliaN

Greenie
Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RSCN6677.JPGRSCN6678.JPG
I am curious if anyone can help me with this Horstmann Philada coat button. Shiny brass, nice patina. It measures 2cm. I have no idea how old it is. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

-O

Your button is a US Army "general service" button for Enlisted-men's uniforms. The specific version you've got, on which the eagle's head somewhat resembles a chicken's head, with a raised shield on its chest, was in service from 1875 to 1902 (when it was replaced by the "Great Seal" button).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks, this was in my grandfather's collection. Any idea of what these are actually worth? I saw some listings on ebay for around $25.00. My great grandfather served in the Spanish American war, could this be a button from his uniform?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because you asked... based on its particular version of Horstmann Co. backmark ("HORSTMANN * PHILADa"), your button dates from 1893 to no later than 1902 (when production of that button-emblem ended). So yes, it could have come from your great-grandfathers Spanish-American war (1898) uniform.

Edit: I forgot to answer your question, "Any idea what these [buttons] are worth?" It is unwise to rely on Ebay for dollar-values of relics. Anybody can buy these chicken-head eagle buttons for $2-to-$3 at various Militaria shows and gun-shows. That's because they are far more common than (let's say for example) your Kentucky State Seal button from the same time-period. There were literally millions of Enlisted-men (privates, corporals, sergeants) in the US army between the 1870s and 1902.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back