Hope you brought your sunglasses for this beauty! Rarest union state button!

Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000-Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
photo 1(2).JPGphoto 2(2).JPGphoto 3(1).JPGphoto 4(1).JPGID tag1.JPGId tag 2.JPGId tag 3.JPG

Got into a sweet spot last weekend with my dad and my first signal at 11" was my 5th breast plate. I was super excited about my find and pumped that I could cruise the rest of the day without finding anything else, 4 hours later my dad came up to me with a button that he thought was a New York state coat button. After quickly examining it I knew it wasn't a common button. A quick search on Google revealed it was a Staff Officers New Jersey coat button. It was my dads first NJ and what a great button to find.

The corp badge was found back in March at the last DIV. The tag belonged to John Kenealy who signed in August 18,1862 with the 33rd NY Inf Co.D which later got mustered out and John was transferred to the 49th NY Inf Co.D. The 49th took winter quarters December 1863 at Brandy Station. John was wounded June 5, 1864 at the battle of Cold Harbor and died the following day at a near by field hospital at the age of 20. Needless to say I had a fantastic hunt. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 15
I am voting banner on this find and once again would like to thank Danimal for taking the time to briefly explain the rarity and significance of a dug item. Every time somebody takes a few minutes to explain exactly what we're looking at it gives us all a bit more knowledge and next time if I see one I will know exactly what it is.
Some on here are button experts, some knowledgeable in the old coin department and some are military historians. If we can all take the time to pass along some of the knowledge that we have in a particular field it will help to get these finds the recognition they deserve and it will give some of the newer guys like me one more piece of info that we will have forever.
As far as returning something goes it is obviously the prerogative of the person that worked hard to find the item. I apologize if I previously sounded like I was trying to tell anybody what to do. Just sharing an opinion as I find doing something nice for another to be the best reward I can have on most occasions. All the best, Abe

Incredible finds and that button does deserve to be up on the banner. the badge you recovered is one of the most amazing pieces i have seen dug. i dream to find a piece that i could connect to an individual. Because you recovered the piece this american hero can forever be remembered. this is a piece that deserves to be seen and not put away. i would loan it to the local historical society so that the community could enjoy it also and also in the process a family could pop out of the wood work. thank you for sharing your awesome finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back