Hope you brought your sunglasses for this beauty! Rarest union state button!

Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000-Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
photo 1(2).JPGphoto 2(2).JPGphoto 3(1).JPGphoto 4(1).JPGID tag1.JPGId tag 2.JPGId tag 3.JPG

Got into a sweet spot last weekend with my dad and my first signal at 11" was my 5th breast plate. I was super excited about my find and pumped that I could cruise the rest of the day without finding anything else, 4 hours later my dad came up to me with a button that he thought was a New York state coat button. After quickly examining it I knew it wasn't a common button. A quick search on Google revealed it was a Staff Officers New Jersey coat button. It was my dads first NJ and what a great button to find.

The corp badge was found back in March at the last DIV. The tag belonged to John Kenealy who signed in August 18,1862 with the 33rd NY Inf Co.D which later got mustered out and John was transferred to the 49th NY Inf Co.D. The 49th took winter quarters December 1863 at Brandy Station. John was wounded June 5, 1864 at the battle of Cold Harbor and died the following day at a near by field hospital at the age of 20. Needless to say I had a fantastic hunt. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 15
Oh My God ! That corp badge is an incredible find ! Is it sterling silver (hallmarked at all ?) Any chance you can trace surviving
relatives of the deceased ? What a miraculous return that would be ! (I don't intend to demean the button - clearly the badge ,
because of the provenance , is the MAJOR find here ! )

Agreed, the badge is the find of the day. Would be nice mounted with documents and photo.

great finds but return return return? i just dont get it what is it about all this taking what we work so hard to research locat and find, then the first thing suggested is finding the fastest way to give it away?!

im sorry, i just dont get it. nice is nice but heck! if i do all the work what ive found is mine! sorry.

again, great finds and congrats!

Amazing finds!!! I would do everything I could to track down the family and ask them if they are interested in the tag. Well done!!!!!!

MANFROMCLAD: We are usually, by nature, a good bunch of people. Most are not filled or fuelled by greed. In the same breath, we crave the next big find but most of us have a heart and a conscience. If a family heirloom can be returned, I believe it should be. To us, it's cool to look at and does have a story, but at the end of the day, maybe it is better appreciated by the family and holds sentimental value. It's the right thing to do.

In my opinion, If you can identify the owner then it needs to be returned. Especially if it is someone who went through great hardship, such as a war, slavery, or lost their class ring or wedding ring. Items that have more value to the owner than the finder. I feel that trumps all of my hard work to find it. Now trying to find a family of a civil war vet based on a button pretty hard to do. Nobel but not practical unless their name was on the button.

My personal feelings are that reuniting a family with something important that belonged to an ancestor is a no brainer. That item has special meaning to a particular family that it could never have to us. I know my family would be beyond thrilled and so thankful to be presented with something personal like that. As long as I have a picture of my finds to remember them by I'm happy. I just believe it's the right thing to do and most of us will never be blessed with an opportunity to do so. If it does happen you've been given a great gift to give a family a priceless treasure related to a loved one. Put that karma in the bank, you will feel great for doing it

Great finds!

Regarding returning the cross to the extended family of a man who died (likely without children) 150 years ago, well, I wouldn't be too motivated to do so. More recent dog tags or rings are one thing (I've got one of each currently in the process of getting returned), but I sincerely doubt that any Kenealys alive today are even aware that this fellow existed, and if any are actually aware of the young man's service and sacrifice, I doubt that there is anything more than unemotional academic interest in the particulars of his life, so I'd poke around to see if there are any invested family historians and if there aren't any I'd happily keep it. If one were to hypothetically find a trunk full of Thomas Jefferson's signed documents, would you track down his descendants and happily give the valuable trove away? I sure wouldn't. Honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior is very important, but I take a relative versus a naive, absolute, black/white approach to the matter.

Great finds!

Regarding returning the cross to the extended family of a man who died (likely without children) 150 years ago, well, I wouldn't be too motivated to do so. More recent dog tags or rings are one thing (I've got one of each currently in the process of getting returned), but I sincerely doubt that any Kenealys alive today are even aware that this fellow existed, and if any are actually aware of the young man's service and sacrifice, I doubt that there is anything more than unemotional academic interest in the particulars of his life, so I'd poke around to see if there are any invested family historians and if there aren't any I'd happily keep it. If one were to hypothetically find a trunk full of Thomas Jefferson's signed documents, would you track down his descendants and happily give the valuable trove away? I sure wouldn't. Honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior is very important, but I take a relative versus a naive, absolute, black/white approach to the matter.

I like the way you think. I'm unsure about MANFROMCLAD's motivations but since he brought it up, I'll respond as well. I don't know how much stock I can put into a poster who's sort of a "fly-by-night". Hardly ever posts. :dontknow:

I can see how one might feel a bit put out by the perceived peer pressure to return things. I've been watching this forum for quite a while now and the overall feel is one of no respect if one doesn't do everything in their power to find and return to someone! If not the original family then some trice removed relative whom I would imagine would simply LOVE to be "given" something that they may be able to cash in, for free! LOL

My take is that if I find something that is marked with a name, I'll do whatever I can to get it back to them. But, like Plumbata said, it's not a black or white decision. I also understand just how difficult it is to find something. Let alone the time, expense of equipment, and the physical wear and tear on ourselves, even the dangers we face. Then, after we finally do find something, we are to what? Give it back? :dontknow:

Me, personally? Like I said, if it's easily identifiable and the owner can be easily found, I probably would. Still, it would be out of the goodness of "my" heart. Not because I'm "supposed" to do so.

Each person to their own and seek out your own feelings on the matter.

Thanks everyone for comments and beliefs, I currently still in the process of identifying any known relatives of Kenealy. And will be gladly to update when and if I can come up with anything. But how about that BUTTON?

exceedingly rare northern button. congrats. I collect buttons and I have only come across maybe 6 dug coatsized NJ's over the last 15-20 years. It looks like a Scovill based on the front.
Nice collection of relics to include the plate and corps badge. That badge seems to have started a discussion. But I agree with plumbata. It would be likely be exceedingly difficult to tract down any descendants. And who would it go to? which half-step-cousin-in-law would it go to? In the days of all the digger/antiques shows with crazy values named who would not want it? and what is to say they would not sell it? I have seen things sold by family over the years that would make your head spin.

The fact you have a picture of his headstone clearly tells you respect his memory and want to tell his story. I believe you are a great custodian of the relic. I am sure he would like the way you are preserving his memory.

I had ancestors who served in both the Rev War and Civil War. I would love to have something from them and if someone contacted me that they had found a relic from them I would be thrilled. but I would do the right thing any pay way more than it was worth, i.e. I would pay $1500 for a $500 relic. that would be fair and it would reward that person.

But I have black sheep in my extended family. From drug users to criminals. I guarantee they would make the claim that it should 'belong to them' and they would want it for free. and I guarantee it would end up in the pawn shop.

Anyway this thread seems to digress from the recent button find. very rare dug northern state seal. way rarer than most realize. given the rarity and condition this should be a banner find. but it likely won't make it as people just don't understand its rarity. but congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great NJ coat ! That something seldom dug even in Jersey . I recently was fortunate to dig 4 Jersey cuff buttons at a First NJ Cavalry vets homestead . When I asked his ancestor if he would like to have them . He placed the buttons back in my hand , politely refused the offer , and added, I have his home , I have his sword and belt plate ,

"these buttons belong to you now , " my Great Great Grea t Grandfather would want you to have them ."

Danimal03 thanks, it's nice to see that someone has some knowledge about buttons and I totally agree that the button should be a BANNER find. And you are right people just don't realize how extremely rare it is. That button alone is worth more than most confederate state buttons. Now, that says something. I've been relic hunting for over 13 years now and hunted with some of the best out there, but never seen a dug NJ button in my presence.

Awesome Finds! Didn't know NJ Buttons were rare digs, hopefully I can find one :thumbsup:

WTG on the Corps Badge as well as the research. Being a former CW Reenactor (before kids) as well as an amateur historian, I appreciate that fact you've researched his life & trials. His memory has been reborn and his story now re-told.

As others have said it would be very hard to try to do the genealogy to find a living relative (not that it can't be done) who may value the find as much as you do.

Congrats on an amazing find!

Congrats awesome button and badge!!!! You are the captain of your destiny & your finds.

Great finds!

Regarding returning the cross to the extended family of a man who died (likely without children) 150 years ago, well, I wouldn't be too motivated to do so. More recent dog tags or rings are one thing (I've got one of each currently in the process of getting returned), but I sincerely doubt that any Kenealys alive today are even aware that this fellow existed, and if any are actually aware of the young man's service and sacrifice, I doubt that there is anything more than unemotional academic interest in the particulars of his life, so I'd poke around to see if there are any invested family historians and if there aren't any I'd happily keep it. If one were to hypothetically find a trunk full of Thomas Jefferson'stio signed documents, would you track down his descendants and happily give the valuable trove away? I sure wouldn't. Honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior is very important, but I take a relative versus a naive, absolute, black/white approach to the matter.
Soooo a dog tag is more important than a man that died fighting for his country? And if the family truly isn't aware of this person isn't that more of a reason to let them know? You mean to tell us that keeping that said item of such great significance is better off displayed in your personnel showcase rather than try and track down that mans relatives? A coin is coin, a relic is a relic, a piece of jewelry is just that. But what you found can be priceless to that mans family. I don't know, just sayin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back