honeycombed rock and metal donut

stamello

Apr 12, 2017
Flintstone GA / Chattanooga TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted these pictures over in the native american forum a few days ago (because of the two worked pieces in the picture), but I'm reposting them here to see if anyone knows what the other two objects are. The top left is a honeycombed object that's about 6x6x4 inches, and the circular object is about the size of a small donut, and is rounded on one side and flat on the other. I found them in a spring at the base of the West side of Lookout Mountain, GA while searching for native american points.
IMG_20170506_194308391.jpgIMG_20170506_194321436.jpgIMG_20170506_194351185.jpg

the "honeycomb" is slag from a blast furnace, it turns up a lot as ballast on railroad tracks and along road beds. The "donut" looks like one of the nuts used on wooden trestle bridges and things like that....

nut.jpg

Upvote 0
the "honeycomb" is slag from a blast furnace, it turns up a lot as ballast on railroad tracks and along road beds. The "donut" looks like one of the nuts used on wooden trestle bridges and things like that....

View attachment 1449398
Thanks NOLA_Ken! There was some mining in this area, so maybe they had a road bed or bridge above this that eventually washed down.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back