✅ SOLVED Holy moley what did i just find?

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Ll I know is it's a coin it says 1810 n it looks beautiful .

image-3680266019.jpg

Front n back

image-2937122790.jpg

Looks like a Spanish Reale. Very cool! These were legal money in the US until 1857.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Best find ever had and the shortest I've ever had one. I looked on the map and realize I was on the historic furnace property and I had to take it to the historic district there and handed in. Luckily they were thrilled and happy about it and are contacting their person in charge of the history and is being displayed there in one of the cases, most likely .
Still kind of bummed since it was my best find

Upvote 0
I was jealous until I found out you had to turn it in. Bummer, but great find anyhow, we don't get that kind of stuff in Oregon.

Upvote 0
Spanish silver! Looks like an 1810 1 real to me, but I'm not positive. If it's the size of a dime, it's a 1/2 real. If it's about the size of a nickel, then it's a 1 real. Great find!

Upvote 0
Yup it's real alright. And I'm kinda bent I had to hand it in.. Lol. I was on the border of where it was almost off the historic property... But had it been on state park land I woulda had to show it to them too ( supposidly). I might have kept quiet about it on state park land... But I couldn't do it to the historic district. I swung my detector for like 2 minutes n found it... Who knows what else is around there.... I 'll never know.

Upvote 0
Whoever they have do their search for relics in the preserved historic land , sucks... Lol. I use to volunteer and would find stuff just when I was tending the gardens. I could fill up their display cases in a week... Lol. They even have high tech equipment and state archeologist doing their research and I find stuff an inch under tbe surface. Sooooooo frustrating.

Upvote 0
I honestly (and there's probably nothing honest about it) would have a hard time turning that over to anyone. Historic or not, there's nothing historically significant about that coin other than someone lost it and you found it. I'm no crook, but unless it was something directly-related to the historic district I was hunting in, it'd be mine.

Upvote 0
Value depends on alot of factors ... coins are wierd... I will look at my auction guides and see what the "estimate" on similiar condition... A coin of that nature and condition should be sent to be "graded". It is a great find.

Upvote 0
I can tell you this much so far... it's a Jose Napoleon, 1808-1813 era

Upvote 0
mexico_8_reales_1809.jpg

Mexico 1/2, 1, 2, 4, and 8 Reales (Ferdinand) 1809 to 1821
King Ferdinand VII ruled Spain between 1808 and 1821. Mexico, as a Spanish colony, produced oodles of silver and gold coins bearing his likeness. This page applies to the silver coins, called reales. The gold coins are called escudos. Similar coins, dated earlier, bear likenesses of Kings Charles (Carolus) III and IIII. See this page for the Charles coins.

If you are not familiar with coins like this, read our Summary Page about Spanish Colonial Coins for guidelines and approximate values.

The listings below call out approximate catalog values for the Ferdinand coins of Mexico.

1/2 REAL FERDINAND (18 mm diameter)
worn: $4 US dollars approximate catalog value
average circulated: $20
well preserved (like our picture): $40
coins with date 1812 and initials JJ are worth about twice these values

1 REAL FERDINAND (20 mm diameter)
worn: $10 US dollars approximate catalog value
average circulated: $30
well preserved (like our picture): $90
coins with dated 1813, 1814 and 1818, and intials JJ are worth about three times these values

2 REALES FERDINAND (25 mm diameter)
worn: $15 US dollars approximate catalog value
average circulated: $70
well preserved (like our picture): $250
coins dated after 1813 are worth about half these values
special coin 1811TH catalogs at $350 average circulated

4 REALES FERDINAND (33 mm diameter)
worn: $75 US dollars approximate catalog value
average circulated: $280
well preserved (like our picture): $900
special coin 1812HJ catalogs at $900 average circulated

8 REALES FERDINAND (38 mm diameter)
worn: $30 US dollars approximate catalog value
average circulated: $90
well preserved (like our picture): $120
special coin 1810TH catalogs at $300 average circulated

Use our Important Terminology page to properly interpret these values.

Coin: 12584 , Genre: Colonizers and Colonies
Requested by: BC, Thu, 27-Sep-2012 12:42:35 GMT
Answered by: Paul, Thu, 29-Nov-2012 16:55:27 GMT
Reviewed by CoinQuest. Appraisal ok., Sun, 25-Nov-2012 22:10:40 GMT
Requester description: 1809 Side 1: Bust of King in center,Lettering around outer edge of coin starting bottom reading clockwise= 1809 FERDIN VII DEI GRATIA Side 2: Crowned Arms in center of coin flanked by a bannered piller on each side of the Arms,Lettering around outer edge of coin starting from top reading clockwise= HISPAN ET IND REX (small o over large M) 8R HI
Tags: mexico 1 2 4 8 reales real ferdinand reale frd furdinand ferdinandvs ferdnd frdnd ferdinan ferdinandus furdinan ferdin bust king center offcenter lettering letter vii dei gratia crowned crown arms coat flanked flank bannered banner piller pillar hispan spain et ind rex over large hi off centers centered leters letters lettered grattia tiara crwon crpwn crowns tiarra crowning tiera coats crests insignia crest creast flanks flanking banners pillars espana spainish espanas hispanirvm spanich hispana espania espa spanish hisp espanola shield column columns upright

Upvote 0
Ty. I did find this page as well . It is an 1810, the date is visible . However me and my guilty conscious took it immediately to the rangers office before I measured it. And these are the only pics I took of it.
However sometimes good deeds pay off. The ranger emailed me and said they will let me come in and view all the artifacts that have been found in the historic district that is not on display to tbe public! And to top it off the ranger and the historic village is having an archeological dig and that I could come in as a volunteer to assist . Well how's that for some payback ! That coin ended up being worth more by giving it away.. Lol:)

Upvote 0
Nice... well have fun digging :) ..............for them :) ...........lol j/k .
That sounds a like a good time... at least for the experience.
Who knows maybe you will dig so well they will offer you full time job.

Upvote 0
Nice... well have fun digging :) ..............for them :) ...........lol j/k . That sounds a like a good time... at least for the experience. Who knows maybe you will dig so well they will offer you full time job.
Yes , for them.. Lol. However Nobody gets to keep anything from historic sites. It's being part of the experience and helping to uncover history. And probably lugging around buckets of dirt and being shoved out of the way if anything good is found ... Lol. But still!

Upvote 0
Anytime I get a permission, I am very quick to show off the zincolns and clad dimes...the other coins...What other coins?

Upvote 0
Yes , for them.. Lol. However Nobody gets to keep anything from historic sites. It's being part of the experience and helping to uncover history. And probably lugging around buckets of dirt and being shoved out of the way if anything good is found ... Lol. But still!

lol well beings I have a state permit, I am all too familiar with the way they work.
I think you should really attend... sounds like a cool day(s).
BTW- what state are you in ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back