Holiday day 2! 😎

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Another glorious sunny day today, so we headed to the top of a hill just outside the village, the views were stunning, and the field gave us some cracking finds.. no coins, but all the bits I love! xx

starting off with this belter of a livery button, then a beautiful buckle, 2 small buckles, part of a crotal bell, bits of buckles, possibly part of a Fibula brooch, musket ball and square of lead, then not sure what it was but something special gold gilt leaf design. A little bashed pig, bit of a spoon, strap end (?) then another 2 pieces in same hole, and 2 rings (not finger)..

Will def come back to this field, the oilseed rape stalks were quite tough so am sure we missed loads simply cos the stalks grab your coil and interrupt your swing! Pictures of the view cannot do justice to reality, but you get the feel I’m sure! Xx

IMG_8579.jpeg
IMG_8580.jpeg
IMG_8581.jpeg
IMG_8582.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg
IMG_8587.jpeg
IMG_8588.jpeg
IMG_8589.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_8591.jpeg
IMG_8592.jpeg
IMG_8593.jpeg
IMG_8594.jpeg
IMG_8595.jpeg
IMG_8574.jpeg
IMG_8575.jpeg

IMG_8577.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 24
Hooray! (Huzzah!).

Pegasus.
When in time and where worn would matter. (Certain clergy may not have applauded.)
Regardless it's an artistic but utilitarian piece. As are the following buckles. One intact that alone makes for a great study of it's design.
Then along comes the hog to mess up that utilitarian but we can squeak in some art with it theory. (It wasn't (?) made to dangle on a ceiling fan pull switch.) Hello and what's going on with you hog? what a surprise... You're pinched and pierced for good but secret reason , so far.

Congrats blossom and himself! The new purple field yielded evidence not unbefitting it's locale back when apparently.
I try to not choose favorites in my recoveries so not to insult any. But I'll declare your hog quite the find this hunt...Along with the Pegasus button. (Button?).

Are you bits and pieces horse halter rings and buckles?
Did an owner go extra on the fancy vs plain? Did a Pegasus button or disc get added somewhere to be fancy ; or hopeful?

Planted some dwarf Essox rape the other day.
Didn't till or cultivate where it was seeded. Expectation is that it's depth of growth will reduced soil compaction and also draw some stuff from below. If it grows. And deer don't reduce it too severely. We'll see.
Maybe some relics will grow? L.o.l..

Ah thanks RC.. for the record, i found the hog and he found the button!! 😆.. dont know what those little rings are..these 2 are quite delicate… 🤔 xx Will have a rummage on the net to see if i can get an id on the button, and date for the buckle.. its a thing of beauty!! 😍 xx

1 Little piggy went into the pocket.
Looks like it was to be hung off a chain, so it's a piggy pendent.
Beautiful Buckles you got today.
No coins-pity
Beauty button also, seems that you don't dig alot of military buttons.
A view where swinging is just a piece of cake.
Best of luck for day #3.

Ok here’s the plan. Run this by himself and see if it works for all involved.
Take me in as a 65 year old foster child 😄. I’m a great cook and pull my weight. All I want is to follow along behind and see this firsthand. I love every bit of it. The history of my extended family intrigues me (Scotland and England). I’ll even trim the garden.🙏🏼 keep posting, you always improve my day!!!

Another glorious sunny day today, so we headed to the top of a hill just outside the village, the views were stunning, and the field gave us some cracking finds.. no coins, but all the bits I love! xx

starting off with this belter of a livery button, then a beautiful buckle, 2 small buckles, part of a crotal bell, bits of buckles, possibly part of a Fibula brooch, musket ball and square of lead, then not sure what it was but something special gold gilt leaf design. A little bashed pig, bit of a spoon, strap end (?) then another 2 pieces in same hole, and 2 rings (not finger)..

Will def come back to this field, the oilseed rape stalks were quite tough so am sure we missed loads simply cos the stalks grab your coil and interrupt your swing! Pictures of the view cannot do justice to reality, but you get the feel I’m sure! Xx

View attachment 2100326View attachment 2100327View attachment 2100328View attachment 2100329View attachment 2100330View attachment 2100331View attachment 2100332View attachment 2100333View attachment 2100334View attachment 2100335View attachment 2100337View attachment 2100338View attachment 2100339View attachment 2100340View attachment 2100341View attachment 2100342

View attachment 2100355
I think the pig is my favorite! Beautiful stuff!

Is that a trigger in photo #7? I just knew you were going to find more wonderful stuff. You did not disappoint. Are you going to be able to go back for that gold coin dropped near your silver?

Yeap, most of a 9th C Saxon Strap-end & part of a 6th C Saxon Brooch.
Needs more effort in that area, might be a Sceat.

Is that a trigger in photo #7? I just knew you were going to find more wonderful stuff. You did not disappoint. Are you going to be able to go back for that gold coin dropped near your silver?
I think it’s part of a brooch! Today we are going back over to the chicken farm fields to have another look! 😆 xx

Yeap, most of a 9th C Saxon Strap-end & part of a 6th C Saxon Brooch.
Needs more effort in that area, might be a Sceat.
Just checking Crusader… do you mean these 2 … xx thank you xx. Will def go back when they plant or whether they are going to do, ie when the pesky stalks are gone xx

Attachments

• IMG_8593.jpeg
    IMG_8593.jpeg
    721.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 7
Just checking Crusader… do you mean these 2 … xx thank you xx. Will def go back when they plant or whether they are going to do, ie when the pesky stalks are gone xx
Yes to strapend but no to the Brooch which is pictures 6 & 7.

View attachment 2100326View attachment 2100327View attachment 2100328View attachment 2100329View attachment 2100330View attachment 2100331View attachment 2100332View attachment 2100333View attachment 2100334View attachment 2100335View attachment 2100337View attachment 2100338View attachment 2100339View attachment 2100340View attachment 2100341View attachment 2100342

View attachment 2100355
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back